9/28 SCF Game 6 vs Tampa @ Edmonton (7PM CT)

The Frugal Gourmet

Re: 9/28 SCF Game 6 vs Tampa @ Edmonton (7PM CT)

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 pm

wonko80 wrote:Man, this was fun and all, but *poo poo*, who knows when we'll get another shot at it. Just crazy they kinda went out with a whimper.

Man it feels like this sport is always kinda like that. War of attrition. Both previous times we got to the finals it just felt like everyone was on the verge of collapsing by the end.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 pm

I will still go one day in Africa or Asia to find those Stars 2020 Stanley Cup Champions hats and shirts.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Interesting to see Bowness get so much love from the Tampa players (especially Hedman) but Cooper and Bowness barely said one word to each other. Must be some bad blood how it ended.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Math wrote:I will still go one day in Africa or Asia to find those Stars 2020 Stanley Cup Champions hats and shirts.

Doubt they printed them because it never got to game 7, right? although i don't know the logistics.

dyhp

Postby dyhp » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
dyhp wrote:My hot take it's to put Tampa on blast for celebrating while not wearing masks or social distancing. Not cool. Not cool at all.

they're in the bubble. it's all good.

Oh I know, that was just a bad joke.

dyhp

Postby dyhp » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 pm

They should have pumped in some fake boos for Bettman.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 pm

dyhp wrote:
dyhp wrote:My hot take it's to put Tampa on blast for celebrating while not wearing masks or social distancing. Not cool. Not cool at all.

they're in the bubble. it's all good.

Oh I know, that was just a bad joke.

ahhhhh . i'm getting slow.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 pm

Math wrote:I will still go one day in Africa or Asia to find those Stars 2020 Stanley Cup Champions hats and shirts.

Doubt they printed them because it never got to game 7, right? although i don't know the logistics.

Well some friends managed to find some San Jose Stanley Cup winner hats at that time, so I suspect all these kind of merchandise really exists and are sent far away in the case of mismatch.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:00 pm

Benn should've touched the Campbell Bowl.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:00 pm

Math wrote:

Well some friends managed to find some San Jose Stanley Cup winner hats at that time, so I suspect all these kind of merchandise really exists and are sent far away in the case of mismatch.

why am i not surprised it's sj fans?

Math

Postby Math » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Math wrote:

why am i not surprised it's sj fans?

Worse: Pittsburgh fans. Just to piss them off.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:05 pm

It was a fun ride. We have some awesome players. Just not as many as TB. They deserved it. Good for them.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:09 pm

When you think about it, this is really NYI’s fault for not having a coach who could beat TB.
~ Swinton

Math

Postby Math » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:09 pm

B Kat wrote:It was a fun ride. We have some awesome players. Just not as many as TB. They deserved it. Good for them.

Only luck.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 pm

TB outworked them, out skilled them and eventually out defended them. Great run, but one team had to lose.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Bowness is a nice guy but a garbage coach. I haven't played hockey since I was 6 and needed a chair to skate, but somehow I could predict, with 100% accuracy, where every single clearing attempt was going to go. It sure looked like Tampa knew too. And Bowness never once adjusted.

We gave Jason Garrett *poo poo* for eight years for far less (and McCarthy for the next eight). But when your idiotic coaching philosophy (that clearly doesn't match your roster's abilities... check how many of our 14 wins were Bowness wins, and how many were Ruff wins) keeps your own team in their zone for 45 seconds at a time, yeah, your players are going to get tired.

We saw it with Tippett, and then with Hitch, and then Monty, and now Bowness. Garbage coaching style that hasn't worked since 2003 but we're still enamored with it for some reason.

dyhp

Postby dyhp » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 pm

ToddM wrote:We gave Jason Garrett *poo poo* for eight years for far less]

Jason Garrett popped in my mind a lot watching this series.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 pm

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:31 pm

It's great that they went this far, but pretty much everyone from now on is going to use us as a cautionary tale.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:36 pm

Bowness is probably the reason the Stars even got past CO or Vegas. Injuries mounted, no coaching was getting more out of their players than Bowness.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 pm

ToddM wrote:Bowness is a nice guy but a garbage coach. I haven't played hockey since I was 6 and needed a chair to skate, but somehow I could predict, with 100% accuracy, where every single clearing attempt was going to go. It sure looked like Tampa knew too. And Bowness never once adjusted.

We gave Jason Garrett *poo poo* for eight years for far less (and McCarthy for the next eight). But when your idiotic coaching philosophy (that clearly doesn't match your roster's abilities... check how many of our 14 wins were Bowness wins, and how many were Ruff wins) keeps your own team in their zone for 45 seconds at a time, yeah, your players are going to get tired.

We saw it with Tippett, and then with Hitch, and then Monty, and now Bowness. Garbage coaching style that hasn't worked since 2003 but we're still enamored with it for some reason.

I have a hard time reconciling what we saw in this game with what we saw against Calgary and Colorado. Almost an entirely different Stars team. I'm not a fan of what Bowness did in the regular season trying to choke every game to death, but that same coach opened it up for some high flying fun. That Colorado series might have been the most entertaining series since the 80s in terms of lead changes, goals, and fun.

There's a point where it's not coaching. Bowness isn't why Seguin was *fargin'* terrible for most every game of the playoffs. Bowness also isn't why Heiskanen went from high flying taking it to the net to playing timid (my guess is he was hurt). Bowness isn't why half the forward group is old and slow (and before you start going on about the AHLers who didn't play, keep in mind no coach is scratching vets for a bunch of kids who've never even played a regular season NHL game). Bowness isn't why they were getting outskated up and down the ice.

I have a hard time shitting on Bowness too much when he took the oldest and slowest forward group in these playoffs to game six of the Final.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Yep. Bones took a team that deserved to get swept in the first round all the way to the finals.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 pm

These kinds of things are always interesting to watch. Not having real media access in the bubble might mean we have to wait a couple of days to find out what was up with guys like Faksa and Bishop.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:24 pm

We beat Calgary and Colorado by playing the exact opposite of Bowness hockey. Did he e"open them up?" Or did they just do that themselves? Or did the Avs' shit-ass defense make them do it? Either way, that was something we saw, what, three times all season? That's not Bowness hockey.

We beat Vegas because Dobby had a .950 save percentage. That's pretty much godlike. Also because Vegas' forwards were terrible finishers. Heisky, whether injured or not, went into a passive shell against Vegas and never came out of that against Tampa. Was it injury, or was it coach's orders? He's a good soldier. Another Avs-type series and he would've outscored his regular season stats. Again... not Bowness hockey.

We had a legit chance to beat Tampa but went back to the well that brought us two 1-7-1 streaks and shitty defensive hockey. We were at our best when d-men took a second to look over the ice and make a clean 8-15 foot pass to a waiting forward. How many times did that happen against Tampa? Tampa wasn't the first forechecking team we faced; Vegas was just as good. But our guys consistently, repeatedly, without fail, rimmed it along the boards. Tampa took all of about 4 minutes to figure that out and jumped it every time. You'd think maybe a coach would see that and have his guys do something else. Bowness must've seen it, right? I mean, everyone else watching sure did. But he did not adjust at any time, not once, and definitely not at any time in the first 52 minutes of an elimination game 6. The coaching in this series was just brutal.

It's been an amazing run but it's pretty obvious the real drivers on this team are not meant to be trying to win games 1-0. Unfortunately we're going to waste these players' primes with a coach who only knows one way to do things and will continue to try and squeeze square players into round holes until he's fired after our second 10 game losing streak in February.

dyhp

Postby dyhp » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Benn's post game press conference...

my heart is breaking

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:33 pm

He was more eloquent than usual.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:35 pm

ToddM wrote:We beat Calgary and Colorado by playing the exact opposite of Bowness hockey. Did he e"open them up?" Or did they just do that themselves? Or did the Avs' shit-ass defense make them do it? Either way, that was something we saw, what, three times all season? That's not Bowness hockey.

We beat Vegas because Dobby had a .950 save percentage. That's pretty much godlike. Also because Vegas' forwards were terrible finishers. Heisky, whether injured or not, went into a passive shell against Vegas and never came out of that against Tampa. Was it injury, or was it coach's orders? He's a good soldier. Another Avs-type series and he would've outscored his regular season stats. Again... not Bowness hockey.

We had a legit chance to beat Tampa but went back to the well that brought us two 1-7-1 streaks and shitty defensive hockey. We were at our best when d-men took a second to look over the ice and make a clean 8-15 foot pass to a waiting forward. How many times did that happen against Tampa? Tampa wasn't the first forechecking team we faced; Vegas was just as good. But our guys consistently, repeatedly, without fail, rimmed it along the boards. Tampa took all of about 4 minutes to figure that out and jumped it every time. You'd think maybe a coach would see that and have his guys do something else. Bowness must've seen it, right? I mean, everyone else watching sure did. But he did not adjust at any time, not once, and definitely not at any time in the first 52 minutes of an elimination game 6. The coaching in this series was just brutal.

It's been an amazing run but it's pretty obvious the real drivers on this team are not meant to be trying to win games 1-0. Unfortunately we're going to waste these players' primes with a coach who only knows one way to do things and will continue to try and squeeze square players into round holes until he's fired after our second 10 game losing streak in February.

With Heiskanen, who knows. Maybe he was hurt. Maybe him going on a hot streak for 15 games or so was just a hot streak and not an indication of what he is day to day. I don't buy your coaching theory. It makes no sense that Bowness would encourage Heiskanen to go produce a bunch of offense which was a key driver in winning the first two rounds and would then tell Heiskanen not to produce offense.

I don't think the Stars were playing to win 1-0. I do think they were so banged up and out of gas near the end, they didn't have much else to offer. Where were the goals going to come from? Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Hintz, and Gurianov all went goalless during this series, and none of them looked any good during the series. They had nothing left in the tank. I don't think there's anything Bowness could do to get those guys rested, healed, and able to contribute.

I guess I just don't get the idea that they ignored Bowness for two playoff rounds and scored a bunch of goals because of it. I don't think that's what happened at all.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:38 am

Well, we'll find out if we ever get a real hockey coach who adjusts his style to match his players and not the other way around (like, I dunno, Jon Cooper). Not holding my breath.

dyhp

Postby dyhp » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:52 am

ToddM wrote:Well, we'll find out if we ever get a real hockey coach who adjusts his style to match his players and not the other way around (like, I dunno, Jon Cooper). Not holding my breath.

How do you feel about Gerard Gallant? He seemed to be the hot name when the Stars sucked before the stoppage. I don't know much about him.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:19 am

I think Gallant would be perfect. Talk about a guy who always gets the most out of his rosters. He's apparently the second-most liked coach in the league (voted on by the players), after Cooper. Gallant took that Vegas team and had them absolutely FLYING in his first year.

But he also seems to butt heads with management. Florida literally kicked him to the curb, and Vegas fired him after something like a four game losing streak, even tho they were leading the Pacific (or close to it).