9/26 SCF Game 5 "@" Tampa @ Edmonton (7PM CT)

The Frugal Gourmet

Re: 9/26 SCF Game 5 "@" Tampa @ Edmonton (7PM CT)

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Or like a real life Mohammed Ali fight.

Although Rocky actually loses in the end in the real movie. He just puts up a good fight. The point is he goes all those rounds against a better and younger fighter. Maybe the best metaphor to come? *gulp*

Math

Postby Math » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:17 am

And right at midnight (CET) Perry scored the second-OT goal, I demonstated it quite a in a intense way.

And as a longlife everlasting Perry hater I felt a bit ashamed after that, like if as a teen I've had been surprised by my parents while masturbating.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:49 am

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:00 am

I'm really not sure what that is trying to prove. Even if their shots came from further out, Tampa dominated every aspect of that game. They basically lived in the Stars' zone.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:25 am

It shows a couple of things. First, that the Stars are creating a TON of high-danger chances. Second, that Tampa seems to take the majority of their shots from the blue line --maybe hoping for a rebound?-- but those rebounds rarely happen. Credit the Stars' D for that.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:39 am

slaps wrote:I'm really not sure what that is trying to prove. Even if their shots came from further out, Tampa dominated every aspect of that game. They basically lived in the Stars' zone.

It's a little deceiving. This season the Stars have been the kings of giving up "low danger" shots from the outside that the goalies can see and track. See, for example, the Vegas series. Despite outshooting and out "zone timing" the Stars, Vegas didn't have a ton of high danger chances.

To my somewhat untrained eye, the Stars have been less successful with that strategy in this series because the Lightning simply have better and more skilled players (and oh yeah, they have killed the Stars on the power play). Those shots from distance are a little less troublesome when you are at even strength - less so when you are outmanned. But boy am I nervous when the Lightning shoot from distance. They seem to take better advantage of screens.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:41 am

ToddM wrote:It shows a couple of things. First, that the Stars are creating a TON of high-danger chances. Second, that Tampa seems to take the majority of their shots from the blue line --maybe hoping for a rebound?-- but those rebounds rarely happen. Credit the Stars' D for that.

Tampa's had many beautiful redirections so far emanating from the point.

But we all know the story of this series is just special teams. It's relatively even outside of that.

Tampa gets on the pp and they are guaranteed at least 3 premium chances every time. Dallas gets on it and generates nothing.

Part of me thinks Tampa just has to regress to the mean there. I mean no one can seriously have a 50% pp right?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:43 am

They can when all the Stars’ penalty killers are on IR or in the box.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:53 am

Yeah and I hate the "don't take any penalties" strategy. They just happen anyway. penalties are mainly accidents. and if you're trying not to on eggshells you just wind up being less aggressive. it doesn't work.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:21 pm

slaps wrote:I'm really not sure what that is trying to prove. Even if their shots came from further out, Tampa dominated every aspect of that game. They basically lived in the Stars' zone.

CBC shows the ozone time for each team thru out the game. And while TB totals more time, it's not as lopsided as it seems. I'm always surprised by that. Game 4 loss TB was dominant even though the game went to OT, but the last game was more even, IMO.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:38 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Yeah and I hate the "don't take any penalties" strategy. They just happen anyway. penalties are mainly accidents. and if you're trying not to on eggshells you just wind up being less aggressive. it doesn't work.

It's more like a "Don't take any stupid penalties". When Point has a wide-open net and you cut his wrist in pieces before he has the time to shoot, then the slashing penalty is a good and useful one. When Comeau makes a home run while not being pressurized, that are the ones to avoid fore and foremost. And then you have those you take because you lose battles and are always a second's fraction late.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Vegas piled up a ton of low danger chances from distance, but they never looked all that scary the way Tampa does. I don't care how similar the Vegas and Tampa shot charts are. These Tampa chances are serious.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Math wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Yeah and I hate the "don't take any penalties" strategy. They just happen anyway. penalties are mainly accidents. and if you're trying not to on eggshells you just wind up being less aggressive. it doesn't work.

It's more like a "Don't take any stupid penalties". When Point has a wide-open net and you cut his wrist in pieces before he has the time to shoot, then the slashing penalty is a good and useful one. When Comeau makes a home run while not being pressurized, that are the ones to avoid fore and foremost. And then you have those you take because you lose battles and are always a second's fraction late.

These guys play professional hockey every day of their life. There's no magical thing a coach can implant in their brains to get them to only take the good kind of penalties. They'll make mistakes at the same rate they always have throughout their careers.

You want to beat Tampa Bay? Well you'll be needing a penalty kill.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Of course. But with the second-worst record of the 24 postseason teams in terms of discipline, let's say there's room of improvement.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Yeah.

I just think the best strategy for avoiding penalties is having the puck and being aggressive.

I think telling guys "don't take bad penalties this time" is probably not useful or productive and could be counterproductive. Don't even think about *poo poo* like that, I say.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Radulov takes stupid penalties and that can absolutely be coached or beaten out of someone.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.