9/19 SCF Game 1 "@" Tampa @ Edmonton (6:30PM CT)

slaps

Re: 9/19 SCF Game 1 "@" Tampa @ Edmonton (6:30PM CT)

Postby slaps » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:42 pm

I’m more willing to give Wes McCauley the benefit of the doubt than any other NHL ref. I don’t even know why he would ever have to prove himself for playoff games. He should just automatically have a spot.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:45 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:I thought there was an extremely obvious uncalled late hook that helped Tampa keep the puck deep.

Yes, but other than that it was perfection.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:31 am

Pretty straightforward penalties.

The ref working the Tampa side of the ice got in the way a couple of times. Once he failed to jump over a Seguin chip into the corner and essentially kicked it to a Tampa defender. Then there was a Tampa breakout in the third where the ref nearly ran into a Tampa defender who was doing the backwards regroup inside the blueline while facing up ice. The ref had wandered away from the wall and had to change direction to avoid a collision.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:50 am

ToddM wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:I thought there was an extremely obvious uncalled late hook that helped Tampa keep the puck deep.

Yes, but other than that it was perfection.

I can see the argument that JFK “boarded” Point which lead to our first goal, so those two non-calls cancel each other out LOL.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:15 am

Pretty interesting Xs and Os read from before the game:

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2020/9/19 ... w-playoffs

Basically Tampa almost never puts a guy in front of the net. Instead, they keep all 5 guys rotating around the points, walls, and middle, trying to get shots from the slot by confusing defenders. And it works! Except that Dallas' greatest strength is in defending the middle of the ice and forcing shots to the outside.

Which is kinda what we saw in Game 1. Even in the third period, when we were getting outshot 22-2, Tampa only had a handful of attempts from anywhere near the crease.

Hopefully we can win Game 2 the same way, and cause Tampa to start doubting themselves and playing a way they're not used to.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:33 am

Tonight’s Game 1 win was brought to you by the letter J:

Joel, Joel, Jamie, Jason.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:19 am

While Maroon did get a game misconduct for shooting the puck into Dallas’ bench, it should have been a two minute unsportsmanlike for a Dallas a PP. But whatevs.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:38 am

ToddM wrote:Hopefully we can win Game 2 the same way, and cause Tampa to start doubting themselves and playing a way they're not used to.

Also there was a stark contrast to how the game looked when we were aggressive on the puck in the neutral zone. And we took several dumb penalties that were unnecessary.

Rather than even trying that experiment, I'd like to play more like periods 1 and 2 when the Stars very clearly outplayed Tampa Bay and Tampa had nothing threatening. They were even incredibly fortunate to get basically the luckiest goal of all time in the first.