8/30 Game 4 vs Avalanche (5PM CT) - Still holding the last-change adv.

The Frugal Gourmet

Re: 8/30 Game 4 vs Avalanche (5PM CT) - Still holding the last-change adv.

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Woohoo.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:40 pm

thought that was a val hat trick for a moment lol
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 pm

If Val continues being Colorado’s best player, I like our chances to take another.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:42 pm

So what's our record again since acquiring Ryan Shea?

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:43 pm

Kinda lame that we needed Gurianov’s goal but whatever. Nothing is easy in this stupid league.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:45 pm

It really helps that Colorado is so soft down low. I feel like no game is gonna be out of reach.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Smart move by Nill to assemble a team of big players that can dictate the physicality of the game.
~ Swinton

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:49 pm

GM of the Year

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Without his timely moves, we have no chance. Or something.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:56 pm

3-1 and not 2-2. Today’s mission accomplished. Thought they set the tone right off the hop. Benn and company didn’t help matter today. Klingberg was looking good in less than 20 minutes. Good ice time all around for the back to back. Ready to be done with these Avalanche, so the broadcasters can just have a good cry and get over it.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Colorado in 7.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:20 pm

I'm kinda shocked that I haven't heard MacGuire say "FCC line" even once this entire playoffs. That kindof nickname seems right up his alley. Has nobody told him? Maybe nobody wants to talk to him.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:54 pm

FYI, Khudobin’s .911 save percentage is worse than all of the remaining starters. His 2.86 GAA is also bad. Only Halak and Franzous have worse numbers, and those guys are also backups. I hope Bishop is getting better. The Stars are going to need him.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Not gonna happen I’m betting.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:54 am

It's a brand new situation. Usually you stick with your best goalie during the playoffs (unless injury or deep sucking occurs), but now with back-to-backs scheduled you want probably to give each goalie a start. Vegas did that with Fleury while Lehner is still their #1.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 am

Troy McClure wrote:FYI, Khudobin’s .911 save percentage is worse than all of the remaining starters. His 2.86 GAA is also bad. Only Halak and Franzous have worse numbers, and those guys are also backups. I hope Bishop is getting better. The Stars are going to need him.

Khudobin has never been a good starter, historically. I think he's showing that he can hold things together but he's not starter material.

But whatever, he's doing just enough.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:10 am

Khudobin hasn't been great, but if the Stars were rolling out any of the other backups Nill rolled through, they might not have beat Calgary. He is the best backup in the league, but they are going to need Bishop.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 am

"Just enough on a regular basis" has really all that's been asked of Stars' backup goaltending for years. They finally have it.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:06 pm

Bishop is a wildcard going forward. The Stars have already greatly cut back his workload from his Tampa Bay days.

I guess the big question is what the team thinks of Oettinger. He'll be 22 in December. With there probably being no AHL next season, it's not like he's getting any more development over the next year. If the Stars give Khudobin the contract he wants, then it means Oettinger won't have a shot with the Stars until he's 25 years old.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:09 pm

Dobby's performance in these playoffs has probably already priced him out of staying here. Some team will give him a #1 or 1A job.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Edmonton may try to money whip him*.

*I have no idea what their salary cap situation is.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:25 pm

I don't know that Bishop will be ready this playoffs. He certainly gave up lots of goals to Vegas last time. Maybe the cops can shoot another rapist in the back and we can stall again.

I think some function of his stats is that the team is currently able to score 4+ goals a game. That seems to be how it works sometime. Loosens things up. But maybe not.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:41 pm

Several teams with goalies issues have already pinned Khudobin for sure (San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh). The more he pulls the Stars far in playoffs, the less likely he will be back next season.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:51 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Bishop is a wildcard going forward. The Stars have already greatly cut back his workload from his Tampa Bay days.

I guess the big question is what the team thinks of Oettinger. He'll be 22 in December. With there probably being no AHL next season, it's not like he's getting any more development over the next year. If the Stars give Khudobin the contract he wants, then it means Oettinger won't have a shot with the Stars until he's 25 years old.

https://theathletic.com/2017370/2020/08 ... ing-teams/

The team: Philadelphia Flyers

The lesson: You can trust your young goalie (maybe).

Goalies are weird. That’s not exactly breaking news to longtime fans, but try explaining the position to a newbie. The goalie can be the most important player in any given matchup, with the ability to single-handedly win or lose a game or even a series. But we’re never completely sure who’s good and who isn’t, and sometimes guys we’ve never heard of become superstars, at least temporarily.

And oh yeah: goalie prospects take forever to develop. Your team drafts a guy, you get excited hearing about how good they’ll be someday, and then they just … disappear. Not completely, of course. But while your team’s best forward and blue line prospects start making their NHL debuts within a season or two, if not immediately, that goalie just lingers off in the distance. For years.

Look around the league. Thatcher Demko just finished his first year as a full-time NHLer, six years after he was drafted. Ilya Samsonov took five. The KHL means Ilya Sorokin still hasn’t arrived, and he’s already 25. Your favorite team’s best goalie is probably in a similar boat.

It didn’t used to be this way. Top goaltending prospects used to show up fairly quickly, just like other positions. Tom Barrasso had a Vezina-winning season at 18. Patrick Roy’s big breakout came when he was 20. Martin Brodeur’s Calder season came at 21. Grant Fuhr was the Vezina runner-up at 19.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:58 pm

There's no doubt goalies are slower to arrive and shine in the NHL, but when the developmental leagues aren't playing, there might be more gained long term from having your prospect goalie on the NHL roster playing on occasion.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:00 pm

I think if your team is a decent defensive one there's also a trade/asset advantage to "establishing" a young goalie.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Can we keep Khudobin but trade Bishop?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Troy McClure wrote:There's no doubt goalies are slower to arrive and shine in the NHL, but when the developmental leagues aren't playing, there might be more gained long term from having your prospect goalie on the NHL roster playing on occasion.

This is going to be a larger problem to keep an eye on, and it applies to all positions, not just goalies. With minor league sports completely dead and most likely not coming back, big league teams are going to have to completely rethink their talent development pipeline. You can’t go stash your low tier prospects in Idaho when the Steelheads and whatever league they play in are bankrupt and not playing. Teams are going to have to shift to a Euro soccer style academy program where they handle all development in house.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:40 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:There's no doubt goalies are slower to arrive and shine in the NHL, but when the developmental leagues aren't playing, there might be more gained long term from having your prospect goalie on the NHL roster playing on occasion.

This is going to be a larger problem to keep an eye on, and it applies to all positions, not just goalies. With minor league sports completely dead and most likely not coming back, big league teams are going to have to completely rethink their talent development pipeline. You can’t go stash your low tier prospects in Idaho when the Steelheads and whatever league they play in are bankrupt and not playing. Teams are going to have to shift to a Euro soccer style academy program where they handle all development in house.

I was thinking in the shorter term (i.e. the 2020/21 NHL season). It doesn't look like there will be any minor leagues playing in the US for the season. So will the NHL/NHLPA allow teams to carry a "taxi squad" so they can have call ups and injury replacements? Will we see the European prospects all find places to play in Europe (presuming there are seasons in those leagues)?

Edit: I actually looked, and the AHL announced on July 30 it is anticipating a December 4 ,2020 start date. Same with the ECHL. So maybe there will be minor league hockey. I'm still skeptical though if fans aren't allowed in the building.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:48 pm

I don’t know.