8/22 Game 1 "@" Avalanche (7PM CT) - Miro’s Better! clap clap clap-clap-clap

The Frugal Gourmet

Re: 8/22 Game 1 "@" Avalanche (7PM CT) - Miro’s Better! clap clap clap-clap-clap

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:02 am

I'm starting to believe maybe having the puck in the Avs zone is the way to go.

wonko80

Re: 8/22 Game 1 "@" Avalanche (7PM CT) - Miro’s Better! clap clap clap-clap-clap

Postby wonko80 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:54 am

I have to think the Avs can play better than that.

Math

Postby Math » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:57 am

They usually do. The Stars are better to be ready, not like the first 5 minutes of game #6 vs. Flames.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:43 pm

wonko80 wrote:I have to think the Avs can play better than that.

They will get more from their other lines, but goaltending might do them in no matter what.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:43 am

I felt like the Stars were outplayed for most of the game. It always felt lucky that they were up.

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:58 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:I felt like the Stars were outplayed for most of the game. It always felt lucky that they were up.

What game were you watching?

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:17 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:I felt like the Stars were outplayed for most of the game. It always felt lucky that they were up.

Really? Because I thought the Stars did a great job of containing a team that is exceptionally good.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:20 pm

Their first line looked awesome, but the rest of their team generated nothing.

But one line, no matter how good, isn't going to overcome their goaltending problems or other injuries.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:41 pm

I concur. Be aware, they will come like the two hurricanes heading to FL. Contain their first line by finding the right balance between defense and high forechecking, and of course controlling the neutral zone.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Shabazz Jenkins wrote:

The game where the Avalanche were running circles around the Stars in their own zone 90% of the time and the Stars would randomly capitalize on a mistake by the Avs to rush the puck down and score on their shitty goalie.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:22 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Shabazz Jenkins wrote:

The game where the Avalanche were running circles around the Stars in their own zone 90% of the time and the Stars would randomly capitalize on a mistake by the Avs to rush the puck down and score on their shitty goalie.

I'm happy to dump on the Stars and the coaching, but man, that's not at all what I saw. I saw the Stars put up a really good front against a team that is one of the top 3 in the league. I saw the Stars play aggressively, refuse to give an inch, and continue to push aggressively even when they went up.

The Avs are really, really, really *fargin'* good. It's not like the Stars got lazy and slacked off and let a bad team back in it. MacKinnon is a Hart finalist and that first line like a nuclear bomb - it's going to go off at times. The Avs' middle six forwards are really good, too, and they're going to hit back here and there.

I think the reason it looked like the Stars got lucky is because the Avs are so damn good.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Avs actually spent almost no time in the Stars' zone, especially as the game went along. Hell, *Dang ol'* Sekera was on the ice for 18 attempts for and 2 against. But every time they skated in with speed, it sure as hell *seemed* like they would score.

Colorado's real problem is their defense. Makar and Giraud are amazing offensive d-men, but terrible in their own zone (Giraud somehow got outskated by Benn multiple times). Allegedly Johnson and Zadarov are their 'shutdown' pair, but that's also their third pair that gets the least ice time, plus Zadarov kinda sucks. A team that can cycle in the offensive zone can take that defense apart --remember that 90 second shift from the Perry line as the clock wound down in the third?
That said, shutting down Makar and Giraud is pretty much impossible without mega-elite goaltending. But as long as we can keep them to 3...

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:40 pm

slaps wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:
Shabazz Jenkins wrote:

I'm happy to dump on the Stars and the coaching, but man, that's not at all what I saw. I saw the Stars put up a really good front against a team that is one of the top 3 in the league. I saw the Stars play aggressively, refuse to give an inch, and continue to push aggressively even when they went up.

The Avs are really, really, really *fargin'* good. It's not like the Stars got lazy and slacked off and let a bad team back in it. MacKinnon is a Hart finalist and that first line like a nuclear bomb - it's going to go off at times. The Avs' middle six forwards are really good, too, and they're going to hit back here and there.

I think the reason it looked like the Stars got lucky is because the Avs are so damn good.

It's okay. Sometimes two people look at the exact same thing and see something completely different.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:53 pm

Avs first line combined for a +/- of +6 and TOI between 22 and 24 minutes in the loss.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Yet they still lost.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 pm

ToddM wrote:Stars and Avs have played four playoff series, and in all four the heavily-favored team has lost in embarassing fashion.

Stars in 7.