2020 Stars RR & Playoff Thread

slaps

Re: 2020 Stars RR & Playoff Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:10 am

cdanew wrote:
ToddM wrote:"The Stars have won 1 game playing your syatem and 8 playing the exact opposite. I am extremely impressed."

In fairness to Bowness, when he took over he really didn't have much of a chance to put his stamp on systems, etc. The team doesn't really have a ton of practice time and, frankly, for a good bit of time there wasn't a lot of reason to change things. I mean, the Stars did have one of the best records in the league (except for the very start of the season and right before the pause).

This coaching staff is not stupid. I'm pretty sure they understand the strengths and weaknesses of this team. I'll give Bowness credit for adapting when given the opportunity to do so.

The Stars seem to win more when they play opposite the way Bowness wants them to play. I am pretty sure that's not good.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 am

slaps wrote:
cdanew wrote:
ToddM wrote:"The Stars have won 1 game playing your syatem and 8 playing the exact opposite. I am extremely impressed."

In fairness to Bowness, when he took over he really didn't have much of a chance to put his stamp on systems, etc. The team doesn't really have a ton of practice time and, frankly, for a good bit of time there wasn't a lot of reason to change things. I mean, the Stars did have one of the best records in the league (except for the very start of the season and right before the pause).

This coaching staff is not stupid. I'm pretty sure they understand the strengths and weaknesses of this team. I'll give Bowness credit for adapting when given the opportunity to do so.

The Stars seem to win more when they play opposite the way Bowness wants them to play. I am pretty sure that's not good.

Ah, ok. I think I'm starting to understand now. I guess the coaches didn't have anything to do with how the team approached the Calgary series and the Colorado series and those series wins were merely a result of the players doing the exact opposite of what the coaches told them to do.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:54 am

cdanew wrote:
slaps wrote:
cdanew wrote:

Ah, ok. I think I'm starting to understand now. I guess the coaches didn't have anything to do with how the team approached the Calgary series and the Colorado series and those series wins were merely a result of the players doing the exact opposite of what the coaches told them to do.

That seems to be correct based on the end results when the players play in a way that makes Bowness happy. Glad we could clear that up.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:17 am

I thought I posted this earlier:

Y'all gonna drive CD to drink with this mess.

I don't like Bowness's system either, but to contend that he's oblivious to the ways they can win is just trolling. Obviously there have been 3 different game plans for the 3 rounds, at least to my eyes. That's one of the reasons Benn looked like *poo poo* against CO, and looked "beast mode" (LOL) for WCF G1.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:24 am

Many of us are driven to drink by the unwarranted coach hate. But if you watch all of these games, the same type of hockey is being played. Especially in these conf finals.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:27 am

mookie1010 wrote:Y'all gonna drive CD to drink with this mess.

virus vodka.jpeg
virus vodka.jpeg (7.03 KiB) Viewed 238 times

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:30 am

For my part, the only real change I’ve seen from this team between the regular season and the playoffs is Miro being taken off the leash. If that’s a coaching decision, then all credit to Bones. But I kinda suspect sometimes that it’s Miro just saying “*f-bomb* these spares I have to play with, I’m gonna do it myself.”

This run has been about the teams the Stars are playing against completely collapsing more so than anything the Stars have done.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 am

ScubaSteve wrote:This run has been more about the teams the Stars are playing against completely collapsing more so than anything the Stars have done.

Agree the teams we've played so far haven't helped themselves, but the Stars are playing the system to perfection for many periods. They are legit. They could be better for sure, if the team was faster, but all those old dudes, Comeau, Cogliano, Pavelski, Perry, know how to play and are adding a lot to the team by helping the others and being solid.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 am

The big difference this round is that Vegas’s D don’t stand around and puck watch like CGY and COL did.
~ Swinton

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am

Also the Vegas PK forwards are super aggressive and know not to let Klingberg or Heiskanen have any time with the puck.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Math

Postby Math » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:But I kinda suspect sometimes that it’s Miro just saying “*f-bomb* these spares I have to play with, I’m gonna do it myself.”

I suspect that too. Against Colorado, Klingberg stated that they wanted (between the lines: them, as players) to spend more time in the offensive zone. It's like law articles inducing a gray area: the system and related instructions might be always the same, but it can lead to different interpretations. You can decide to go on full aggressive mode, going at two on the forecheck and constantly grinding, but you can't do it for 60 minutes, and if you can, you pay the price later on. Now it's a marathon and it's all about management.

In game 1, Stars won 2/3 of faceoffs and won almost every 1-1 battles. In game 2 that was the opposite. Instead of dictating the game, you're chasing it and that makes hell of a change.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Math wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:But I kinda suspect sometimes that it’s Miro just saying “*f-bomb* these spares I have to play with, I’m gonna do it myself.”

I suspect that too. Against Colorado, Klingberg stated that they wanted (between the lines: them, as players) to spend more time in the offensive zone. It's like law articles inducing a gray area: the system and related instructions might be always the same, but it can lead to different interpretations. You can decide to go on full aggressive mode, going at two on the forecheck and constantly grinding, but you can't do it for 60 minutes, and if you can, you pay the price later on. Now it's a marathon and it's all about management.

In game 1, Stars won 2/3 of faceoffs and won almost every 1-1 battles. In game 2 that was the opposite. Instead of dictating the game, you're chasing it and that makes hell of a change.

The coaching staff explicitly stated they wanted the D to activate more - that's what I'm talking about in terms of Bowness changing some things up in how they approach games since the pause.

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/dallas-s ... -318392122

Interim coach Rick Bowness said before training camp began that he wanted to increase his team's scoring chances, and that they would attempt to activate defensemen during camp in order to help create more scoring chances.

You pointing to trying to read between the lines of Klingberg saying "they" as meaning the players decided to do it on their own and not the coaches is just flat out wrong.

Another Bowness quote from that same article (emphasis added) - Klingberg is just parroting what the coaches have publicly said:

"You hit goal posts, you miss open nets, what are you going to do? That's part of the game," Bowness said. "Playing the way we want to play is going to create more opportunities, it created more power plays because we spent more time in the offensive zone. The things we've been stressing since training camp, the changes we are trying to make to our team, are working. The guys are working, they're creating offensive opportunities."

It's a matter of execution more so than anything else. Did the coaching staff want Oleksiak to pinch in the offensive zone before Vegas' third goal? Yes they did. They've said it multiple times. Did they want Seguin, who was supposed to cover the point, to also abandon the point and creep down between the dots? No they did not.

The Stars lost game 2 for several of the reasons you mention - losing faceoffs, losing 1-1 battles, taking some dumb penalties and, frankly, facing a good, deep team that has a goalie on a shutout streak. None of those is really a systems issue.

Math

Postby Math » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Fair enough, I admit I didn't read the whole stuff and I remained on concerns of Bowness not being capable to adjust with respect to what we've been used to see during the regular season and the RR games.

For the last part, I think we pretty much agree. It's the first series where the Stars face decent goaltending. Stupid penalties is one thing, but frustration ones are even worse because they exactly show Vegas where to hit and hit hard. Comeau and Radu's penalties were just not acceptable at that point.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Math wrote:Fair enough, I admit I didn't read the whole stuff and I remained on concerns of Bowness not being capable to adjust with respect to what we've been used to see during the regular season and the RR games.

For the last part, I think we pretty much agree. It's the first series where the Stars face decent goaltending. Stupid penalties is one thing, but frustration ones are even worse because they exactly show Vegas where to hit and hit hard. Comeau and Radu's penalties were just not acceptable at that point.

Luv ya buddy - group hug! :)

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 pm

I think you all are confusing "nice grandfather" with "good coach."

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:04 pm

B Kat wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:This run has been more about the teams the Stars are playing against completely collapsing more so than anything the Stars have done.

Agree the teams we've played so far haven't helped themselves, but the Stars are playing the system to perfection for many periods. They are legit. They could be better for sure, if the team was faster, but all those old dudes, Comeau, Cogliano, Pavelski, Perry, know how to play and are adding a lot to the team by helping the others and being solid.

Yeah, I don't mean to full dismiss any credit given to the Stars. They're clicking well and they're playing about as well as this roster is capable of. But they're still the same team they were in March. The competition they're facing has taken a nose dive (until Vegas).
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Math

Postby Math » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:24 pm

I don't know if you guys are familiar with tennis, especially in the older days, but I'm going to try a comparison.

Fabrice Santoro. A former french player who had quite an atypical game. Smaller than average, much less powerful, playing forehand and backhand both with two hands. A weirdo, so to speak. When he played against the top guns like Sampras, Agassi, Ivanisevic, Courier, Kafelnikov, Krajicek, etc. he was weaker in every aspects of the game. However, he had a way to play that just drove the other guys nuts, and he managed to win quite often, just because he was playing in their heads as long as the game was lasting. They were dominating, but at the end Santoro got the last word, they were just losing patience and had no answer to that because Santoro, while recording much fewer winners, made practically no mistakes.

The Stars are the Same. Vegas has better goaltending on paper, they are stronger, faster, have more depth, in fact they are better loaded. That being said, if the Stars manage to do what they did to the Avs, especially in the first part of the series, they can definitely go past Vegas. But this will mean to play their style, their system, and reduce errors at minimum which means: Stay. Out. Of. The. *Dang ol'*. Box., limit turnovers, and capitalize scoring chances. No more breakaways à la Janmark. The more they can stick with that, the more they will play in their heads, the most they will commit errors on their side. it's money time, I'll be fine with boring 1-0 or 2-1 wins if that make us closer to the *fargin'* cup.

Now let's have some other drinks and enjoy tonight's show !

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:57 pm

At least Janmark is getting break aways. One of these times the luck is going to go in.

Interesting comparison.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 pm

has it ever gone in?
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:52 pm

That's what she said.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:46 pm

Miro remains our playoff scoring leader with 22 points (5G 17A) in 19 games now. And if you remove his points from the Round Robin games, he still breaks Hartsburg‘s (or Zubov’s if you only count the Dallas days) record.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 pm

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:03 am

Knives Out wrote:Miro remains our playoff scoring leader with 22 points (5G 17A) in 19 games now. And if you remove his points from the Round Robin games, he still breaks Hartsburg‘s (or Zubov’s if you only count the Dallas days) record.

If they make it to the Cup Finals, he has to win the Conn Smythe, regardless of whether the Stars win or not. He’s just benn phenomenal.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:37 pm

No hockey tonight? WTF?
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:42 pm

5minmajor wrote:No hockey tonight? WTF?

It's on the USA Network tonight
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:17 pm

I found it. Thanks anyhow.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:38 pm

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:35 pm

With Johns out and Fedun out what happens if we get another D injury? Is Harley the last option or did we bring other D to the bubble?
~ Swinton

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Just in case people are having trouble logging in, using the fully qualified URL works for me. http://Www.thestarsfans.com not http://thestarsfans.com
~ Swinton

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:47 pm

BigAl wrote:With Johns out and Fedun out what happens if we get another D injury? Is Harley the last option or did we bring other D to the bubble?

Bayreuther is also in the bubble, and I think they’d go Bayreuther over Harley.