CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Knives Out

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Knives Out » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:06 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Sinclair doesn't even especially want to be in the sports game. They were more interested in the broadcast assets of the RSNs. My understanding is that they are just going to run out the clock on all the rights deals Troy mentioned, and then when those deals expire, they'll consolidate or shutter the Bally RSNs. They'd do deals with Hulu or Youtube if they'll make money on it in the near term, but if not, they don't really give a *poo poo*. Either way, in a few years, Stars games will be broadcast via twitch stream from Razor's iphone.

Blolz.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:45 pm

Sinclair is in major debt.

According to the Sinclair Broadcast Group’s most recent balance sheet as reported on August 10, 2020, total debt is at $12.40 billion, with $12.33 billion in long-term debt and $71.00 million in current debt. Adjusting for $622.00 million in cash-equivalents, the company has a net debt of $11.78 billion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 47860.html

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:54 pm

JayMohrBot!

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:20 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:You've probably gotta let them have this one if you want the league to continue existing in any form you recognize. It's not like the league was on firm financial footing even before covid. There were 3-4 franchises in the before times that were barely hanging on. Now, I bet half the teams or more are barely staying above water.

If I'm being honest, I could take or leave the NHL at this point. The product sucks. Parity is boring.
Math wrote:I love incest

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:22 pm

I’m Canadian so I’ll be watching hockey even after I die.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm

Jason wrote:Sinclair is in major debt.

According to the Sinclair Broadcast Group’s most recent balance sheet as reported on August 10, 2020, total debt is at $12.40 billion, with $12.33 billion in long-term debt and $71.00 million in current debt. Adjusting for $622.00 million in cash-equivalents, the company has a net debt of $11.78 billion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 47860.html

And somehow the leagues can’t take advantage of this? I mean again, someone’s gonna lose this battle, but the winner doesn’t have to accept scraps.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 pm

Getting paid every penny of their Sinclair contracts is the league getting the most out of this. Any re-negotiation is only lowering what teams get.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 pm

In the short term, sure, I get that. Like I said, I understand the mechanics of this, it just seems like there’s a solution that includes remaining solvent and not totally alienating a good portion of your fan base.

The NFL would have unfucked this way more quickly. I know it’s not a fair comparison, but I just can’t think this is the best complete picture strategy for leagues whose fan base is being completely diluted by other entertainment/screen time options.

Maybe I’m wrong. Who knows.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:37 pm

It reminds me of how the Blackhawks under Bill Wirtz blacked out all games on TV if they didn't sell out. So less people watched, less people showed up, and then for like ten or so years no one in Chicago got to watch a single Blackhawks game.

The one game I went to, in 1997 or so, there were roughly 3,000 people in the stands. Most of 'em were Flyers fans.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 pm

I think the big difference is the NFL has networks bidding against each other to get those rights. For these local broadcast rights for non-NFL sports, networks will still want them but only at reduced prices because the streaming services aren’t willing to pay as much.

And in this climate of getting no real ticket revenue, teams aren’t about to touch their one known source of income. You’re right it is stupid long term for the health of the fan base to not have your games viewable to many fans, but these teams are only thinking about their cash flow today.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:50 pm

link

Marinak did note that “there’s no blueprint for that right now,” when it comes to making RSNs direct to consumers.“ Since the RSNs are negotiated on a local level via a team by team, or market by market basis, Marinak added that “rights negotiations will be particularly tricky due to all the parties involved, as well as MLB’s interest in retaining overall control over where live game footage plays.”

The MLB and its partners will have to determine a price point that makes sense for all involved. For this to be a significant change, there would have to be a way for fans to truly purchase direct-to-consumer without having to have some type of traditional TV authentication. Since there are many different RSNs providers throughout the country, this will take time and even Marinak noted that “direct-to-customer streaming looks at best like a 2022 prospect.”

If that works out probably something similar will happen to NHL

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:50 pm

Yeah, it's probably a mess because the cable services still paying the big fees to Sinclair wouldn't like Sinclair offering an even easier path to cord cutting. Then you also have the league-wide deals like NHL center ice who may grumble about losing subscribers when people instead choose to sign up for the RSN of the one team they care about.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:30 pm

NBC is completely out of the picture. It'll be ESPN and TNT going forward.

I wonder how many of the NBC hockey people will get picked up.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:36 pm

“Dying sport cuts deal with dying boomer media conglomerate to air games on dying medium”
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:19 pm

This is good money for the NHL. NBC was paying $200 million a season to hold all of the rights.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:49 pm

Nothing with CBS either, some games will be on whatever hbo max is

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:29 pm

Stop hiring guys like Mike Millbury and Keith Jones. All they do is *goddess* about how the game used to be better.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:35 pm

I'm amused by a columnist using the term "great leap forward".

Alternate headline: Is the NHL due for a Jewish Holocaust times 20?
Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 pm

The game DID used to be better

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:37 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:The game DID used to be better

Yes, but these old guys are pining for the trap era late 90s and not the fun early 90s.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:18 pm

Added bonus: why should anyone, anywhere, listen to what Milbury has to say? He's arguably the worst GM in NHL history.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 pm

ToddM wrote:Added bonus: why should anyone, anywhere, listen to what Milbury has to say? He's arguably the worst GM in NHL history.

This is an excellent point and the main reason I can’t stand him. Didn’t he trade away both Spezza and Chara for nothing?

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 pm

They need to coax someone with interesting opinions or who can talk well. Even from past Stars, people like Marc Methot or Ben Lovejoy gave good, insightful answers to lame questions from the media. I'd say Brett Hull but he doesn't give enough of *poo poo* to do that much work.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:00 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
ToddM wrote:Added bonus: why should anyone, anywhere, listen to what Milbury has to say? He's arguably the worst GM in NHL history.

This is an excellent point and the main reason I can’t stand him. Didn’t he trade away both Spezza and Chara for nothing?

Not included in that image: Milbury traded Luongo so that he could draft DiPietro with the #1 overall pick.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:04 am

wonko80 wrote:They need to coax someone with interesting opinions or who can talk well. Even from past Stars, people like Marc Methot or Ben Lovejoy gave good, insightful answers to lame questions from the media. I'd say Brett Hull but he doesn't give enough of *poo poo* to do that much work.

Patrick Sharp is sharp, Kevin Weekes is real good. Marty Turco would be phenomenal. I bet Luongo would be tremendous. There are so many guys who are engaging and fun to watch. It's no wonder the NHL dumped NBC.

If you're going to get guys who are angry at the NHL, at least get funny ones like Ryan Lambert and let him say "*f-bomb*" a lot.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:55 am

slaps wrote:
wonko80 wrote:They need to coax someone with interesting opinions or who can talk well. Even from past Stars, people like Marc Methot or Ben Lovejoy gave good, insightful answers to lame questions from the media. I'd say Brett Hull but he doesn't give enough of *poo poo* to do that much work.

Patrick Sharp is sharp, Kevin Weekes is real good. Marty Turco would be phenomenal. I bet Luongo would be tremendous. There are so many guys who are engaging and fun to watch. It's no wonder the NHL dumped NBC.

If you're going to get guys who are angry at the NHL, at least get funny ones like Ryan Lambert and let him say "*f-bomb*" a lot.

I like Turco personally, but I'm not sure he's great broadcaster material. He was a fill-in studio analyst briefly for NBC or NHL Network if I'm not imagining things and I don't think he was very good.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 am

That’s my recollection as well. I think the Stars used him in the pregame show a few times and he would stumble over his words a lot.
~ Swinton

Math

Postby Math » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:33 am

When it comes to former players going in front of the camera on a TV broadcast, either you have it or you don't, depending of your style. I really like guys like Kevin Bieksa or Jeff O'Neill who have their own style and are not really afraid to go inside the octagon. On the other side (on the french one too), Carbo, though being interesting, has a professorial tone and is really into the technical side of things, turning sometimes boring. My number one remains Mike Bossy: serious, funny, critical and honest at the same time.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 am

cdanew wrote:
slaps wrote:

I like Turco personally, but I'm not sure he's great broadcaster material. He was a fill-in studio analyst briefly for NBC or NHL Network if I'm not imagining things and I don't think he was very good.

I thought I remembered him on TV and him being pretty good, but I could be wrong. But he seems like a naturally funny and smart dude, so I don't know why you wouldn't give him a test run. Maybe he sucks, but he can't possibly be worse than Milbury.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:54 am

How about no analysts? I think we’ve all been watching hockey long enough at this point that we don’t need thoughts from some spare former players who are trying to stay relevant.