CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Jason

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Jason » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:21 pm

wonko80 wrote:So does that mean we can be done with Fox Sports Southwest?

When the Stars deal expires with them, then it might be. Unfortunately there probably won't be any other option for the Stars.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:25 pm

I wonder if ESPN’s goal of expanding the audience will lead to some rule changes to grow offense.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 pm

Are we sure they can even afford it?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 pm

The guy on camera couldn’t even pretend he wanted to help or ask if the crushed dude was ok.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 am

A lot of GMs count on the cap going up fixing their bad contract problems. That's not going to happen. Get ready for four seasons of no cap growth. A deal that's bad today will not look any better in four seasons. If anything, the bad deals will only look worse because the player's performance will be declining while their percentage of the cap remains the exact same.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:33 am

No nhl.tv? Of course, because that’s the best deal going. It’s a part time job managing whichever streaming platform is needed to watch a hockey game as it is. I’m moving to Canada when they let us in.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:45 am

B Kat wrote:No nhl.tv? Of course, because that’s the best deal going. It’s a part time job managing whichever streaming platform is needed to watch a hockey game as it is. I’m moving to Canada when they let us in.

What are you talking about? I don't see any post referencing nhl.tv.
Math wrote:I love incest

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:17 am

The second tweet. NHL.tv only available as part of espn+ subscription.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:33 am

B Kat wrote:No nhl.tv? Of course, because that’s the best deal going. It’s a part time job managing whichever streaming platform is needed to watch a hockey game as it is. I’m moving to Canada when they let us in.

Disney already owns both MLBAM (back end of NHL.TV) and ESPN. I would wager NHL.TV will stay exactly the same but will be rebranded under ESPN+ or something.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:01 am

The tweet says it will be a part of espn + streaming. So I have to subscribe to that in order to get nhl.tv. Right now it's stand alone.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 pm

WHOA OH BLACK BETTY

ScubaSteve wrote:MLBAM
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:57 pm

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:32 pm

Jersey ads is where I draw the line. Litter the ice all you want, but leave the jerseys out of this...
Math wrote:I love incest

Math

Postby Math » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Jersey ads is where I draw the line. Litter the ice all you want, but leave the jerseys out of this...

Same line for me. An NHL jersey is like your best friend's penis: don't ever touch it.

Now let's see if it's gonna be discreet like in the NBA or if it would look like something this this:

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:29 pm

They already skate around with ads for the NHL, Adidas, the helmet ads, the people who made their helmet, gloves, pants, skates, and stick.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:29 pm

You've probably gotta let them have this one if you want the league to continue existing in any form you recognize. It's not like the league was on firm financial footing even before covid. There were 3-4 franchises in the before times that were barely hanging on. Now, I bet half the teams or more are barely staying above water.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:12 pm

Idea: Improve access to televised games.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:12 pm

mookie1010 wrote:Idea: Improve access to televised games.

That actually has little to do with the NHL itself. Although not being in NBC exclusively anymore will help a lot. NBC's presentation and ease of access is awful.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:37 pm

The TV thing is real. I've watched two regular season games in two years. It really sucks.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:46 pm

You haven’t missed much.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:05 pm

slaps wrote:

That actually has little to do with the NHL itself. Although not being in NBC exclusively anymore will help a lot. NBC's presentation and ease of access is awful.

The RSN’s are what I’m talking about, not NBC.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:42 pm

mookie1010 wrote:
slaps wrote:

The RSN’s are what I’m talking about, not NBC.

Right, but the NHL can't really do much about that right now. It was an FCC thing for many years, and the teams handle negotiations with individual RSN's, not the NHL. I don't recall when the Stars last negotiations with FSN, but it may have been right at or shortly after the FCC ended the rule.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:18 pm

It’s 2021 and we can’t get hockey on the local stations. I understand because *reasons* but *fargin'* figure it out. People tear up *poo poo* deals all the time.

Cuban was on the radio last week, and explained it in some detail, so I understand, but you can’t tell me that somehow Sinclair or Bally or whatever has the leverage in any way here. They’re hanging onto their last pennies hoping to make a couple of more pennies before the end of the deal. They’re being penny and pound foolish, and I would think that between the MLB, the NBA and the NHL they could figure this *poo poo* out.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 am

Sinclair does have leverage in that they own the rights to the RSN's and those RSN's have exclusive rights with local franchises. Sinclair sees the writing on the wall and they are trying to leverage every last second of those exclusive rights to try and make up for a bad investment. But when you have TV providers just simply walking away rather than dealing with you even when you have exclusive rights to content those TV providers very badly want, you done messed up badly.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:21 am

They didn't expect their bluff to get called, and when it did, they had no other plan. Now they're just hanging onto their tiny pile of chips until they run out.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 am

I think a lot of RSN agreements across the league are going to start coming up for renewal soon, and I can't imagine that Sinclair doesn't get just absolutely beaten down in negotiations after the high-handed bullshit they've been pulling.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 am

I don't think Sinclair is happy about where they're at. They pay a lot of money to teams for these rights, and they need money from subscribers to have those deals make sense. But they also can't accept offers from the likes of YouTube TV paying them a lower number making their deals with teams unprofitable.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 am

I'm sure they aren't happy, but ultimately, this stuff is a partnership. The league needs coverage, the TV people need product. It's why the league did two drafts last year, and the outdoor games this year - they are providing the product. Sinclair's attitude in negotiating hasn't been "how can we make this work?" so much as "*f-bomb* you, pay me."

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am

But can they have any other attitude? Sinclair has nine or ten years left on a deal where they pay the Texas Rangers $80 million a year, the Stars $20 million a year, and the Mavericks $50 million a year. And this all comes from one regional Sinclair outlet. Every outlet around the country has similar rights deals. This creates a very clear and obvious break even point for Sinclair when you add them all up, and it’s a number higher than what the streaming services are offering. Sinclair would go out of business if they signed up to lose money from streaming services.

And don’t believe Cuban or any of the teams for a second when they say they want to help you out here. They don’t. These teams want every penny of these contracts. If one of the teams called Sinclair today and said, “We want our fans to be able to see our games, so can we terminate this contract?” Sinclair would have the termination signed before the phone call ended. These are bad deals for Sinclair, great deals for the teams, and fans are stuck in the middle.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:36 am

Sinclair doesn't even especially want to be in the sports game. They were more interested in the broadcast assets of the RSNs. My understanding is that they are just going to run out the clock on all the rights deals Troy mentioned, and then when those deals expire, they'll consolidate or shutter the Bally RSNs. They'd do deals with Hulu or Youtube if they'll make money on it in the near term, but if not, they don't really give a *poo poo*. Either way, in a few years, Stars games will be broadcast via twitch stream from Razor's iphone.