Remember That Guy? Quarantine Edition

Stars2099

Re: Remember That Guy? Quarantine Edition

Postby Stars2099 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:42 pm

I'd be remiss if on this Juneteenth I didn't talk about my favorite year in hockey: The year the Trashers had five black players in their organization (Really only 4 played on big club)

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/thrashers-hope-diverse-roster-boosts-interest-in-citys-large-black-community

Official Quota of TSF.com

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Knives Out wrote:Steven and your brother will tell you that it's because we never expected on signing Radulov, Bargainbin fucked up on that one and he ended up becoming available only after we had already signed Hanzal. If we had signed Rads first, we wouldn't have signed Martin.

I stand by that as the reason, but it still doesn’t make the signing a good one.

Other than Radulov, it was a very shitty UFA year. Hanzal being the second best UFA doesn’t make him a good contract, but this was also Nill over-reacting to losing to the Blues and trying to prove to his boss that he was being proactive. They wanted to get bigger and tougher to play against, and Hanzal had been that in the past.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Back when we had a solvent owner, I was mostly ok with taking a gamble on higher priced older vets when it’s a short term deal. If you want to throw a *f-bomb* ton of cash at a Hanzal or a Pavelski, go for it as long as it doesn’t hamstring you in the future. I’m fine with paying Pavelski because what else were you going to do with that cash the next year or two? Give it to Janmark? If you want to take a run on guys who have had success before, I’m fine with that calculated risk. Since you can’t draft, you’d just be giving those minutes to Curtis McKenzie or some other spare like that otherwise. Still though, you’d like to see at least one of them contribute in a meaningful way at some point.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Stars2099 wrote:I'd be remiss if on this Juneteenth I didn't talk about my favorite year in hockey: The year the Trashers had five black players in their organization (Really only 4 played on big club)

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/thrashers-hope-diverse-roster-boosts-interest-in-citys-large-black-community

Hotlanta! How many of them got along though? LOL
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Stars2099

Postby Stars2099 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:40 pm

Knives Out wrote:
Stars2099 wrote:I'd be remiss if on this Juneteenth I didn't talk about my favorite year in hockey: The year the Trashers had five black players in their organization (Really only 4 played on big club)

Hotlanta! How many of them got along though? LOL

I blame the terrible weather in Winnipeg for the downfall of Kane and Byfuglien.
Official Quota of TSF.com

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:55 am

Methot also cost us our 2020 second round pick, which will probably turn out to be the next Corey Perry.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Hanzal wasn't ever worth what the Stars paid him, though, even at his peak. Pavelski I get because the dude has a history of scoring goals. But Hanzal brought nothing to the table other than being big and good at defense, which is important, but not that important.

Ruff proved you could outscore bad defense.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Also remember we were knee deep in Hitchball, which is a system that a healthy Hanzal would be a perfect fit for in 1997.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Math

Postby Math » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Never understood the Hanzal signing. His last year with the Coyotes was more than so-so and he sucked with the Wild as a rental. The perfect bling-bling overrated forward.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:26 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Also remember we were knee deep in Hitchball, which is a system that a healthy Hanzal would be a perfect fit for in 1997.

Who even knows how much Hanzal's contract came from Gaglardi or Hitch or Nill or Hitch whispering to Gaglardi who told Nill what to do.

Nill was coming off of his worst season yet as GM. The team had lost in the first round, missed the playoffs, lost in the second round, and then missed the playoffs leading up to the Hanzal signing. Ruff was out, and Hitch was in. Nichushkin had quit and gone back to Russia. The offseason before Nill had decided to bring back both Kari and Niemi, and it was a *fargin'* disaster. Nill was entering year five of his job, and the team was barely more successful than the bankruptcy years.

Nill was staring at a massive pile of cap space and a willing owner. He wanted to win another offseason. He had very little in his bag of assets to trade for a forward, so he looked at the UFA market to see Radulov and a bunch of *poo poo*. Radulov looked like he was guaranteed to sign back with Montreal, so what Nill did was go win the bidding for the next best guy down the list because he couldn't walk away from the offseason with out being able to say he added a forward.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:45 am

Hanzal was actually pretty good at one point in time, and it was worth a shot.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Wrong. Imbecile.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.