GDT 1/18 Stars @ Wild, 8pm

B Kat

Re: GDT 1/18 Stars @ Wild, 8pm

Postby B Kat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:19 pm

I’m not even worried.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:04 pm

wonko80 wrote:So are rosters frozen now? If so, does that also mean coaches can't be changed either?

I don’t know.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:23 pm

The CBA only applies to players. Nill could hire Gallant today, but Nill kinda painted himself into a corner by saying what he did about not making changes, but the team responding with the worst performance imaginable might be worth noting.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:56 pm

I just don’t think the Stars’ problem is solely coaching. This same team didn’t score much under Monty either. These players have now had 4 coaches in less than four seasons. It’s not unreasonable to state, this is it. Bowness has at least been around as an assistant, so there is some continuity. If fans don’t like his defensive style, fine. But Monty coached the same way, it seems to me.

Missing Miro is a bigger concern. Heal fast young man.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:10 pm

Troy McClure wrote:The CBA only applies to players. Nill could hire Gallant today, but Nill kinda painted himself into a corner by saying what he did about not making changes, but the team responding with the worst performance imaginable might be worth noting.

It was a stupid thing to say. Anyone with a brain can see that this team is not that great if the goalies aren't playing at the Vezina level. If the goaltending leaks even a little bit, they get bulldozed.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:45 am

B Kat wrote:I just don’t think the Stars’ problem is solely coaching. This same team didn’t score much under Monty either. These players have now had 4 coaches in less than four seasons. It’s not unreasonable to state, this is it. Bowness has at least been around as an assistant, so there is some continuity. If fans don’t like his defensive style, fine. But Monty coached the same way, it seems to me.

Except that goals for and scoring chances have dropped even further under Bowness.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

slaps

B Kat wrote:I just don’t think the Stars’ problem is solely coaching. This same team didn’t score much under Monty either. These players have now had 4 coaches in less than four seasons. It’s not unreasonable to state, this is it. Bowness has at least been around as an assistant, so there is some continuity. If fans don’t like his defensive style, fine. But Monty coached the same way, it seems to me.

Except that goals for and scoring chances have dropped even further under Bowness.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

slaps

His defensive style sucks and is outdated (and boring), but even worse, it's not effective when it's not counterbalanced by someone else letting the team open things up on the attack. If it's possible, they've gotten even worse at transitioning from the defensive zone to the neutral zone.

I think Bowness is a great assistant coach for the defense when there is a head coach with a more up-tempo, attack style to counterbalance some of Bowness' tendencies. I think Bowness is a bad head coach, and the winning record is in spite of Bowness, not because of him.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 am

https://theathletic.com/1543868/2020/01/19/stars-20-20-its-time-to-reassess-things-after-an-embarrassment-in-minnesota/

1. The Stars have a problem scoring at even strength.

This isn’t a new development — we’ve known that since last season — but it’s becoming more and more concerning as the Stars head into the bye week with back-to-back offensive no-show performances.

Dallas has 90 even-strength goals in 48 games, an average of 1.87 per game.

Under Jim Montgomery, the Stars scored 63 even-strength goals in 31 games, an average of 2.03 per game. Under Rick Bowness’ guidance, the Stars have 27 even-strength goals in 17 games, a 1.58 average.

Things went from an offensive slog to a complete shutdown at even strength after the coaching change, even if the win-loss record isn’t indicative of major problems.

3. I think it’s also important to remember coaches can do only so much.

Denis Gurianov not finishing a breakaway isn’t coaching. Jason Dickinson missing an empty net in the second period is completely a player error. Jamie Benn falling and whiffing on a one-timer doesn’t have anything to do with who is standing behind the bench.

So the players certainly are due some of the blame in this situation, and that can’t be forgotten. But that doesn’t change the fact that the overall game plan and usage comes from the coach, and they aren’t working offensively for the Stars.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:53 am

Just more reason to say that boxing himself in with Bowness for the rest of the season was just another idiotic decision by Nill.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:15 am

Yeah, I read all that. Pretty small sample for one. Was wondering about last year under Monty’s offensively challenged season. Also under Monty the PP was worse. I think that Bowness was tapped for the continuity. No one planned on Monty’s demise or that Gallant would be available. And regarding Gallant, his attack style might need players that can attack, attack, attack. Like his LV guys from his first season. Does Dallas have those kind of players? And while Guri and Hintz are fast, up the ice, playing fast, as a unit is necessary. Again, do we have that? Bowness just seems like an excuse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 am

It's not a small sample size after what, 15-18 games under Bowness?

I don't believe that every single player on the Stars just all of a sudden lost any ability to score goals. I think the team went way deep into Hitchcock-syle defensive hockey, and it's been not great. Not bad, but not great. It seemed like Montgomery was finding the balance between responsible defensive play and also letting players take offensive chances. Bowness is just like Hitchcock.

I do think the Stars can score more if they are permitted to have a more free-flowing offensive attack. Pavelski doesn't go from 38 goals under a more open offensive system to like 10 goals in Dallas just because he's a year older.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:27 am

You're right they have been playing defensive hockey since Hitchcock's stint, almost 3 seasons ago now, long before Bowness came to town. Defense wins hockey games. Defense also supplies offense. I get not preferring that style. But there just doesn't seem to be much difference between Monty and Bowness in that regard. Monty tried to implement a run and gun, "relentless" system and he changed. A good coach plays to a teams' strength.

Pavelski is not only adjusting to a new team, but a new city and getting over the fact that SJ did not re-sign him. He still has brought some nice things to the team, but speed was not one of them, and not enough to warrant a 7 mil salary, for 3 seasons. It's too bad. But when he was signed, everyone was pretty happy.

During the Minn game, I thought, too bad he didn't sign with them and Zucarello with us, better fit all around.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:29 am

B Kat wrote:Yeah, I read all that. Pretty small sample for one. Was wondering about last year under Monty’s offensively challenged season. Also under Monty the PP was worse. I think that Bowness was tapped for the continuity. No one planned on Monty’s demise or that Gallant would be available. And regarding Gallant, his attack style might need players that can attack, attack, attack. Like his LV guys from his first season. Does Dallas have those kind of players? And while Guri and Hintz are fast, up the ice, playing fast, as a unit is necessary. Again, do we have that? Bowness just seems like an excuse.

That's true enough. Gallant might look at this stable of draft horses and seriously wonder how to create offense with them.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:32 am

Still better than Detroit, dare I say. :)

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:48 am

Troy McClure wrote:That's true enough. Gallant might look at this stable of draft horses and seriously wonder how to create offense with them.

One easy fix is to take your #1 and #4 goal scorers off the fourth line.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:16 pm

And also, not having Polak be on the top defensive pairing.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Math

Postby Math » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 pm

You all get it wrong: this is still a part of the plan to lead us to the Great Honors. Losing a couple of games after a significant winning streak, getting the other teams asleep by fainting big issues, just to better catch them out cold. Remember that the Stars were routed 6-0 for the Wild's premiere against the former North Stars the year they made it to the Stanley Cup final.

I would just tweak it a bit by grabbing Tortorella out of Columbus and bring him here right *fargin'* now.