To Jim Nill (Personal message)

slaps

Re: To Jim Nill (Personal message)

Postby slaps » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Math wrote:Last year, The Zucc trade was a bit stingy. The guy meshed well but we have gave up two picks and we didn't keep him. On this last point, I fully understand your point: he wanted the good ol' 5-year retirement contract, you set your max at 3, clever even if I'd rather have him on the team instead of Pavelski. A choice had to be made, let's live with it.

This is wrong. It wasn't just 3 versus 5 years. The Stars were willing to go 4 years. It was also the NMC that would have required them to protect Zuccarello during the expansion draft at the expense of another player, on a guy that would be old and probably not taken anyway. And the first round pick that would have to be sent to the Rangers for re-signing Zuccarello. Nill made the right choice.

Math wrote:So far, prices seem to be freakin' high just to get rentals, or a guy with one year remaining on his current contract. We have depth, the team proved to be successful so far, the top-4 defensive squad is reliable, the forward spine is legit, no need to shake things, if it works, don't fix it.

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2020/2/21 ... cup-rumors

The Excuse: The Stars are sixth in the NHL, second in the Western Conference, and seventh in points percentage. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The Verdict: Bleh. Yes, the overall results are good, but there are clear holes. Dallas is 23rd in goals per game, 23rd in shots per game, and their leading scorer sits 64th in the league. As good as the defense can be, imagine a world in which Dallas’ 2.70 GF/GP inches up past three. Give Ben Bishop and Anton Khudobin a three-goal cushion and they might literally be able to enjoy a nice beer during the second period. Yes, it would be tricky, and sure, Nill would have to make the right offer but, but the idea that this team would not benefit from a trade is simply untrue.

In the end, there are many good reasons for the Stars to stand pat. This team is close enough, and the right kind of good to imagine a lengthy playoff run. With that said, it is equally easy to imagine a four-game, goalless bleh-fest from Dallas’ wayward offense torpedoing an otherwise promising postseason. This team has flaws, and the trade deadline represents one last shot at addressing those flaws. GM Nill owes it to his squad to at least consider a move.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:04 pm

I expect another second round exit if we don't add at least a little more offense.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:19 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:I expect another second round exit if we don't add at least a little more offense.

If I can offer some optimism, the best thing about how this season is shaking out is the Stars are unlikely to meet the Blues before the conference finals.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Math

Postby Math » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:48 pm

slaps wrote:This is wrong. It wasn't just 3 versus 5 years. The Stars were willing to go 4 years. It was also the NMC that would have required them to protect Zuccarello during the expansion draft at the expense of another player, on a guy that would be old and probably not taken anyway. And the first round pick that would have to be sent to the Rangers for re-signing Zuccarello. Nill made the right choice.

Did they? I heard Nill didn't want to go more than three years.

Agree for the rest. I didn't know the Stars would gave a 1st to the Rangers in case of re-signing Zucc, Nill made the right thing.

The Excuse: The Stars are sixth in the NHL, second in the Western Conference, and seventh in points percentage. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The Verdict: Bleh. Yes, the overall results are good, but there are clear holes. Dallas is 23rd in goals per game, 23rd in shots per game, and their leading scorer sits 64th in the league. As good as the defense can be, imagine a world in which Dallas’ 2.70 GF/GP inches up past three. Give Ben Bishop and Anton Khudobin a three-goal cushion and they might literally be able to enjoy a nice beer during the second period. Yes, it would be tricky, and sure, Nill would have to make the right offer but, but the idea that this team would not benefit from a trade is simply untrue.

In the end, there are many good reasons for the Stars to stand pat. This team is close enough, and the right kind of good to imagine a lengthy playoff run. With that said, it is equally easy to imagine a four-game, goalless bleh-fest from Dallas’ wayward offense torpedoing an otherwise promising postseason. This team has flaws, and the trade deadline represents one last shot at addressing those flaws. GM Nill owes it to his squad to at least consider a move.

While I agree on the fact that an acquisition can definitely make this team better -- Rutherford proves it year after year in Pittsburgh, I'm more worried about the cost it might have. The future shouldn't be in jeopardy. The Bruins are already loaded but what they gave to the Ducks for Kase is insane. I also don't really see who could significantly improve the team except Kreider, this remains pretty risky. Reasoning in terms of the team and individual ranks in scoring is a bit simplistic when it comes to the playoffs where it's defense first along with many other parameters. Each series is a trench war and once the postseason begins, all counters are set to zero, it's a brand new season, the real one.

Looking at the 10 last games, the Stars are in the first third of the League in GFA. They do have the talent to be better offensively and before making any additions, I'm more expecting the forward leaders to step up.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Eliotte Friedman