To Jim Nill (Personal message)

slaps

Re: To Jim Nill (Personal message)

Postby slaps » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:17 am

BigAl wrote:Would the 2 points we got in that win have been more valuable under a different coach?

Yes. I value how they were obtained as well as the end result.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:52 am

slaps wrote:
BigAl wrote:Would the 2 points we got in that win have been more valuable under a different coach?

Yes. I value how they were obtained as well as the end result.

I care about style because this team doesn't look like a Cup contender. So if the hockey odds make a first round exit the current most likely outcome of the season, why not get there with some games that are more fun to watch?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 pm

The process is more important than the result. Remember a few years back when the Gulutzan Stars were winning despite playing like utter ass, because Kari was bailing them out every game (ok, maybe more than a few years ago...). Then he stopped being godlike, and they dropped like a *fargin'* rock.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:31 pm

There are no style points that get you into the playoffs.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 pm

And a boring 82 games followed by an early round playoff exit is no more satisfying than a thrilling 82 games followed by an early round exit.

It's not like a super dull zero offense approach does a better job of guaranteeing a playoff spot.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:26 pm

I’m just curious what hockey games you guys are watching. I have yet to see a Stars game that isn’t punctuated by a huge number of scoring chances for both sides.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Jamie Benn losing an opposing player and getting torched doesn't count.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:51 pm

That does count as exciting to me. Mistakes? Exciting,

The Stars average about 26-27 scoring chances per game (and usually give the opposing team a bit fewer). These are breathtaking chances mixed in with speed, hitting, etc.

I suppose it’s all relative, but there’s pretty much nothing in my schedule more exciting than Stars games. Sometimes they’re too exciting. I am usually standing through parts of them. In my tv room.

Sure if I rooted for Coloardo — the most prolific team —I would get to see my team score an additional goal almost every game. But it’s not too bad.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Only breakaways by players aged 23 and younger count as exciting hockey.
Could of.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:14 pm

OK, if they are averaging that many chances, then why the hell are they so bad at scoring? I'm open to suggestions here, but it's got to be a coaching / systems thing.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:19 pm

If some stat says they are getting 26-27 scoring chances per game, that stat sucks.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Under Bowness, the Stars are averaging 29.4 shots per game (26th in the league) and 2.67 goals per game (26th).

During Monty’s hot streak, the Stars were averaging 32.5 shots per game (tied for 10th) and 2.91 goals per game (17th).

Looking to 5v5 advanced stats...

Under Bowness, the Stars have 26 scoring chances (16th in the league) and 10.46 high danger chances per 60 minutes (15th). They are converting 14.68% of them overall (8th) and 18.18% of their high danger chances (14th).

During Monty’s hot streak, the Stars had 31.03 scoring chances (1st in the league) and 13.32 high danger chances per 60 minutes (also 1st). Despite leading the league in chance generation over that streak, they were only converting 9.91% of them overall (28th) and only 15.06% of their high danger chances (24th).

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:35 pm

wonko80 wrote:If some stat says they are getting 26-27 scoring chances per game, that stat sucks.

Scoring chances include both shots and blocked shots. Each shot is given a value based on where it is taken from and whether it was a rebound shot or whether it wasn’t blocked. High danger scoring chances are those with the highest value (theoretically the ones guys should score on most often — top teams in the league score on about 20% of high danger chances).

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/glossary.php?teams

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:14 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Under Bowness, the Stars are averaging 29.4 shots per game (26th in the league) and 2.67 goals per game (26th).

During Monty’s hot streak, the Stars were averaging 32.5 shots per game (tied for 10th) and 2.91 goals per game (17th).

Looking to 5v5 advanced stats...

Under Bowness, the Stars have 26 scoring chances (16th in the league) and 10.46 high danger chances per 60 minutes (15th). They are converting 14.68% of them overall (8th) and 18.18% of their high danger chances (14th).

During Monty’s hot streak, the Stars had 31.03 scoring chances (1st in the league) and 13.32 high danger chances per 60 minutes (also 1st). Despite leading the league in chance generation over that streak, they were only converting 9.91% of them overall (28th) and only 15.06% of their high danger chances (24th).

This is Bowness’ 1-7-1. And he is 5-3-1. So really a better start. :)

A little more consistency would be nice, no matter. But that the way hockey go.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:08 pm

B Kat wrote:This is Bowness’ 1-7-1. And he is 5-3-1. So really a better start. :)

This is an interesting way to look at things and it’s been sticking with me LOL. Our miracle baby boy is still playing like dogshit though :(
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 am

Statty stats are malleable.

Don’t worry about Miro. He’s just adjusting.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:19 pm

But to what though really? LOL

I mean I know you're right, but it's just hard for me not to be in concerned mom mode with him right now.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:52 pm

He's on year two of being the training wheels for an oversized veteran partner. Asking him to be not just individually good but cover up for others good has to be taxing.

Beyond that, I think he's also such a safe player that he's never going to put up crazy numbers. Some of it may be coaching, but I don't think we should expect him to be a league leader in d man scoring. He has the skillset to do it but not the mentality.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Knives Out wrote:But to what though really? LOL

I think he's adjusting to the rigors of an NHL season, being the miracle baby and all of the crazy *poo poo* that has gone down in Dallas Stars land - starting 1-7-1, going on a ridiculous tear, then the abrupt departure of his coach to top things off. That's a lot to handle. And while his stamina seems limitless, it's not.

I thought he looked better yesterday :)

Math

Postby Math » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:40 am

Hi Jim, me again, the tiresome painful guy of the forum.

As the trade deadline approaches quite fast, here's my thoughts. Stay put, don't move, don't make a move just to make a move, my plea is for the status-quo.

Last year, The Zucc trade was a bit stingy. The guy meshed well but we have gave up two picks and we didn't keep him. On this last point, I fully understand your point: he wanted the good ol' 5-year retirement contract, you set your max at 3, clever even if I'd rather have him on the team instead of Pavelski. A choice had to be made, let's live with it.

So far, prices seem to be freakin' high just to get rentals, or a guy with one year remaining on his current contract. We have depth, the team proved to be successful so far, the top-4 defensive squad is reliable, the forward spine is legit, no need to shake things, if it works, don't fix it.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:02 am

*f-bomb* that. I demand Connor McDavid by Monday or I'm picketing outside the AAC for Nill's dismissal.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:53 am

Plus adding means subtracting. Who goes?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:02 am

B Kat wrote:Plus adding means subtracting. Who goes?

I'm guessing if Nill adds at any position, it would be forward. So then you look at the guys on the roster who are the first ones in line to be healthy scratched if a better player is available. I come up with Janmark, Perry, Comeau, and Dickinson. Not necessarily in that order, but those are the likely suspects with a lot depending on the position this new player plays.

I left Dowling off of the list because he would probably be sent back to the AHL or waived if another player was added.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:54 am

I come up with Janmark or Perry. Janmark I think is a great asset to the team, speed, penalty killing, good hockey sense and anticipation.
We're a worse team without him. We could scratch Perry, even though he is finally finding his groovy. He still takes too many penalties, which are even more costly in the playoffs. The team is just starting to get its footing after constant "issues". So maybe they don't need to add more adjustment at this point.

On the other hand, the team is in a win now mode, so adding a solid offensive guy might really improve the team, even at the cost of someone who has been integral.

Comeau is never going to be scratched. Dicky not very likely either.

Not having many picks or decent prospects to give, also makes a trade less likely.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:13 pm

With $815 in available cap space, it's pretty unlikely that we'll make any trades.

I guess we could trade Janmark or Dickinson, but I'm guessing the returns on those two guys won't match their contributions to the team right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:19 pm

ToddM wrote:With $815 in available cap space, it's pretty unlikely that we'll make any trades.

I guess we could trade Janmark or Dickinson, but I'm guessing the returns on those two guys won't match their contributions to the team right now.

You move those guys to clear cap/roster space for the player acquired. You're right they don't return you much value beyond a 3rd round pick or so. You're not getting help for today by moving one of them.

I'm also not sure how much of Hanzal's LTIR cap can be tapped into because I've made a point of not wanting to learn those stupid rules.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:21 pm

The best part of trade deadline is easily the unsubstantiated rumors:

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 pm

Excellent idea, I was just thinking that this team was way too fast and we needed to add some slowness.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 pm

If you want a Cup, Joe Thornton is just the man to do it.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:05 pm

ToddM wrote:With $815 in available cap space, it's pretty unlikely that we'll make any trades.

They haven't LTIR'ed Hanzal's cap space, so they can use that.

Dickinson isn't getting traded. Janmark, maybe, since he probably won't re-sign, but it would have to be a deal that brings in a guy to replace him, and what's the point of that?