To Jim Nill (Personal message)

Math

To Jim Nill (Personal message)

Postby Math » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 am

Well, Jim, it's not the house style to crush open doors or shoot at an ambulance, you know.

I think we are all seeing where the ship is going. The iceberg is just over there, in front of you, and we're heading right in the middle of it. You know the story, don't you...

There's still time and room to correct the trajectory. No need to activate the ejection seat and lighten the emergency torch, but time goes fast. When Bowness-than-forty-percent-winning-percentage was promoted to the head-coach position, it was stated "for the remainder of the season". So that was the Plan A, but there's a plan B, right? Just in case where an iceberg might eventually show up. I hardly imagine you, in front of the Stars Directory with Gaglardi, Lites and co. after our seventh loss in a row, including a 8-2 humiliation on national TV in the Winter Classic, telling them: "I know you will laugh, but I totally screwed up. No plan B, nothing. We are toast. Let the fire sale beggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin. Tatatataaaaaa !!! And Happy New Year !!!". Not your style, and not in your prerogatives I guess.

But in retrospective, was it really necessary to get rid of Monty in that context? Couldn't we just tear a bit these Stars' fundamental values and behavioral policies concepts, and wasn't it the least acceptable thing that the organization could tolerate in this MeToo hockey 2.0 hysteria? You know, just telling: "Ok Jimbo-Jim, spanking some random chicks while eating sushis on naked Geishas is apparently your thing, but c'mon man, be wiser, next time, not in a Stars' office, just do it in a submarine commando". Like an implicit agreement between Jims, his ass is you ass too, the first domino piece next to yours, so to speak. It's you now on the hot seat. Sucks but it's what it is.

Besides that, it doesn't look very well on the overall picture. Benn is your thicker spine in the foot, you've got other stones in your shoes and unless a successful process of cryogenization and rejuvination is performed, we can now say that the UFA signing strategy of Pavelski and Perry ultimately and miserably failed. Let's see if the reset rested Stars team will do against Colorado [cough-cough] after the fat X-Mas blowout.

Oh wait, someone is whispering in my ear... Carbo? Ok... Really? Yes, he's available... No, just as a consultant... Ok, got you... knows the house... yes, respected... Already a head-coach experience...

B Kat

Re: To Jim Nill (Personal message)

Postby B Kat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:48 am

While those are some interesting words and phrases, it's not just the coach on the hot seat. Why let this GM hire another coach when he, himself is firmly on the chopping block?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am

Every coach Nill hired was a failure for one reason or another. His drafting record is abominable and he has handcuffed us to multiple terrible contracts. Why is he still employed anyway?

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:08 am

B Kat wrote:While those are some interesting words and phrases, it's not just the coach on the hot seat. Why let this GM hire another coach when he, himself is firmly on the chopping block?

Shapiro mentioned this in a Q&A. If Nill went to Gaglardi and said he wanted to fire Bowness, then Gaglardi would have to fire Nill. Because that would mean, short of winning it all or getting to the conference finals, that the season was again a failure and Nill would be fired in the summer anyway. New GMs typically don't keep the coach in place, so you'd be talking about replacing Bowness, already the interim coach, with essentially another interim coach. It doesn't make sense. So yes, Nill would have to be fired first and then maybe Bowness would be replaced or put back in his previous role or whatever by the new GM.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:38 am

My question is, given the current mix of coaches, would the team be better off with Bowness running the defense and someone else handling the forwards. I don't know the answer but everything has looked out of sync lately and I have to wonder whether players are receiving conflicting messages from when they were actually on a good run.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 am

I had that thought too watching the game last night. Defense has looked awful since the switch. Just running around and out of position.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:43 am

I think the bigger problem is hiring a coach in December is not easy. You're stuck with either an internal promotion or picking over the retreads who are unemployed for good reasons.

I'm not saying this to defend keeping Bowness as head coach because he's not getting anything out of these guys. Then again, we're now on coach #4 who has struggled to get anything out of these guys. Seems like there just might be something beyond the coach, but again... don't take that to mean the coach needs to stay.

Maybe they need a new voice from the outside. Just like they did when they bought in Hitch and then Monty. And why Nill traded for Cogliano and signed Pavelski. Sure seems like they keep hoping to change the internal personality of this thing, and it's not working, which boiled over into Gaglardi sending Lites to the media to rip the team and also had Monty do so as well this season with cleaner language.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:00 pm

So we might have a scheme like this, in an organizational point of view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Getting Seguin and Benn motivated is an enigma.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:22 pm

wonko80 wrote:Getting Seguin and Benn motivated is an enigma.

For any twin peaks season 3 fans... they can shovel themselves out!

DBC9BB84-EC6E-4812-9C57-102BD1AC1A7C.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Could of.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:18 pm

I say we just wait for Boudreau to get canned in Minnesota and snatch him up like we should've half a decade ago.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:40 pm

Lots of gibberish just to say...Hire Mike Babcock. He’s the only guy on the market. He might yell at guys and hurt their feelings though. Can’t have that.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:06 am

wonko80 wrote:
B Kat wrote:While those are some interesting words and phrases, it's not just the coach on the hot seat. Why let this GM hire another coach when he, himself is firmly on the chopping block?

Shapiro mentioned this in a Q&A. If Nill went to Gaglardi and said he wanted to fire Bowness, then Gaglardi would have to fire Nill. Because that would mean, short of winning it all or getting to the conference finals, that the season was again a failure and Nill would be fired in the summer anyway. New GMs typically don't keep the coach in place, so you'd be talking about replacing Bowness, already the interim coach, with essentially another interim coach. It doesn't make sense. So yes, Nill would have to be fired first and then maybe Bowness would be replaced or put back in his previous role or whatever by the new GM.

Gaglardi is looking at the Winter classic.
If it’s a loss, look for changes.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:50 am

One_Timer wrote:Lots of gibberish just to say...Hire Mike Babcock. He’s the only guy on the market. He might yell at guys and hurt their feelings though. Can’t have that.

Is Babcock even a good coach these days?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
One_Timer wrote:Lots of gibberish just to say...Hire Mike Babcock. He’s the only guy on the market. He might yell at guys and hurt their feelings though. Can’t have that.

Is Babcock even a good coach these days?

He got a murderer's row of elite talent in Toronto and did absolutely nothing with it.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:22 pm

I think the game has passed him by like it did to Hitch.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:27 pm

I think he had Nick Lidstrom, Scott Neidermayer, and Chris Pronger. When he didn't have 1 or 2 of those guys, he pretty much sucked.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:49 am

Peter DeBoer is available and he's a terrific coach.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 am

He doesn't fit Monty's style though and changing to a high-flying offensive style similar to Ruff's might be difficult mid-way through the year.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:19 am

I couldn't give less of a *poo poo*. He's a great coach and plays a fast-paced, modern style of hockey. I think it would play very well to guys like Heiskanen, Hintz, and Klingberg.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:32 am

We can't have exciting hockey around here. Not with all the success we've had with controlled, safe hockey.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:57 am

slaps wrote:I couldn't give less of a *poo poo*. He's a great coach and plays a fast-paced, modern style of hockey. I think it would play very well to guys like Heiskanen, Hintz, and Klingberg.

The problem is implementing this mid-season. It could tank the season as they adjust. Seems like a better move to hire him this summer. But, if they continue to *poo poo* the bed, perhaps it wouldn't make it any worse...

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:10 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
slaps wrote:I couldn't give less of a *poo poo*. He's a great coach and plays a fast-paced, modern style of hockey. I think it would play very well to guys like Heiskanen, Hintz, and Klingberg.

The problem is implementing this mid-season. It could tank the season as they adjust. Seems like a better move to hire him this summer. But, if they continue to *poo poo* the bed, perhaps it wouldn't make it any worse...

I think it's easier to go from defensive/fortress to run 'n gun than the other way around. Players like to skate and shoot the puck.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:07 pm

I don't think hockey systems require more than about 40 minutes to teach.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:15 pm

ToddM wrote:I think he had Nick Lidstrom, Scott Neidermayer, and Chris Pronger. When he didn't have 1 or 2 of those guys, he pretty much sucked.

He did pretty well in Anaheim before the guys you mentioned played for him. The Ducks took the Stars out and went to the 2003 SCF and put him on the map. Maybe he is a has been, maybe not. He’s the best out there though. No doubt.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:38 am

One_Timer wrote:
ToddM wrote:I think he had Nick Lidstrom, Scott Neidermayer, and Chris Pronger. When he didn't have 1 or 2 of those guys, he pretty much sucked.

He did pretty well in Anaheim before the guys you mentioned played for him. The Ducks took the Stars out and went to the 2003 SCF and put him on the map. Maybe he is a has been, maybe not. He’s the best out there though. No doubt.

That 2003 Ducks team had a 160 pound goalie wearing 400 pounds of pads.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:54 am

I've hated the Ducks since day 1 of their League inception. This hatred climbed to the level above after that season even if Gerber was their back-up goalie.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:56 am

Bowness *fargin'* sucks. The Stars are winning despite him, and his defense-first, grind-it-out, play not to lose mentality is terrible.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 am

I like how Bowness is burying our fastest and most dangerous young players (including our top scorer) on the fourth line. That's next-level coaching.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:19 am

He's essentially arranging his forward ice time by cap hit.