Jim Montgomery Fired

ToddM

Re: Jim Montgomery Fired

Postby ToddM » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:46 am

slaps wrote:
ToddM wrote:In unrelated news, the guy I wanted as coach instead of Monty is now 14-4-1 since taking over from Babcock.

Yeah, but Toronto players despised Babcock. He inherited a stacked roster looking for any reason to do well after not having to play for Babcock anymore.

I meant hiring him 2+ years ago, after we ditched Ruff and then Hitch.

Altho if Tampa misses the playoffs this season, Cooper could also be available.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:08 am

Love Cooper. Heard that Cooper and Bowness do not love each other, however.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 am

Bowness should have the highest winning percentage of any coach in Dallas history right now. He should retire on top.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Cooper is a lawyer, so he would fit right in. :)

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:48 pm

B Kat wrote:Love Cooper. Heard that Cooper and Bowness do not love each other, however.

Is that why Bowness left?

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:40 pm

I think it was Razor that mentioned they didn’t mesh. I don’t know why he left TB. I think the players did like Bowness.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 am

Shapiro had an article about it at some point. He said there was no real animosity, just Bowness and Cooper did not get along and it was time for Bowness to look elsewhere.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:27 pm

I'm honestly shocked at how many Reddit / social media fans are saying that Montgomery was fired for alcoholism. That's just incredibly stupid.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:34 pm

They're just pretending to be morally outraged. Thats like 90% of the internet.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:They're just pretending to be morally outraged. Thats like 90% of the internet.

Yeah, unless he showed up to work hammered and abused an employee, it’s hard to fire someone for being what by all appearances is just a functional alcoholic. He did something else while functioning as a drunk.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 am

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article239005603.html

According to sources familiar with the situation, Montgomery’s after-hours behavior and relationship with alcohol had been a point of concern during his first and only season with the franchise. Montgomery’s admission was not a new development with the franchise.

Sources said Montgomery’s relationship with alcohol was an issue and a contributing factor in the decision to remove him as coach.

Sources said Stars general manager Jim Nill had previously implored his hand-picked coach to change the behavior, and to stop with the excessive public episodes of drinking. The club tried to work with Montgomery on this, and to give him time and space to alter the behavior.

During the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs, Montgomery was known to frequent the popular bar Moxies, which is owned by Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi. The bar is attached to the high-end hotel, The Crescent, which is close to the American Airlines Center.

The problem was more of visibility; the head coach of the Dallas Stars was out frequently, drinking a bit too much, often in the bar owned by the same man who signed his checks.

It was a bad enough look that the GM had to talk to his head coach about it, and essentially issue a warning. The club was aware that Montgomery had struggled with this before.

In 2008, he was arrested for DUI while in Florida, when he was an assistant coach at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).

The Stars were aware of this arrest when they hired him in May of 2018 from the University of Denver.

Man. It was incredibly stupid of him to get wasted at Gaglardi's own bar.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:42 am

Yes and no. It was probably comped.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:05 pm

"In 2008, he was arrested for DUI while in Florida, when he was an assistant coach at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)."

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Why did I never know Monty was a Fighting' Red Hawk at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute ?

GO RED HAWKS!!

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:09 pm

Dude, the Red Hawks SUCK!!1 *f-bomb* those assholes!!

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Only because Monty isn't coaching them anymore.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Montgomery is out of rehab and gave a brief interview to Elliot Friedman:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... l-fallout/

He makes it clear he will not discuss the incident that cost him his job. But when I ask about the events of his dismissal, he speaks softly and slowly. You can tell he’s re-living it as he explains.

“It was surreal, like an out-of-body experience. All I could feel was incredible shame and guilt. All I was thinking was that it was going to be tough to protect my family. Making mistakes that affect them… it hurts.”

Jim’s wife, Emily, was still asleep when he returned home before 7:00 a.m.

“He told me to join him at the kitchen table,” she said when I spoke to her on Tuesday. “Right at that moment, I knew it was horrible. I tried to grasp it, but it was hard. I was extremely worried for our kids. Our oldest boys play hockey, and we knew the news would spread quick.”

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:43 pm

wonko80 wrote:Montgomery is out of rehab and gave a brief interview to Elliot Friedman:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... l-fallout/

He makes it clear he will not discuss the incident that cost him his job. But when I ask about the events of his dismissal, he speaks softly and slowly. You can tell he’s re-living it as he explains.

“It was surreal, like an out-of-body experience. All I could feel was incredible shame and guilt. All I was thinking was that it was going to be tough to protect my family. Making mistakes that affect them… it hurts.”

Jim’s wife, Emily, was still asleep when he returned home before 7:00 a.m.

“He told me to join him at the kitchen table,” she said when I spoke to her on Tuesday. “Right at that moment, I knew it was horrible. I tried to grasp it, but it was hard. I was extremely worried for our kids. Our oldest boys play hockey, and we knew the news would spread quick.”

He was out until 7:00AM on a bender the night before a game, and woke up his wife to tell her how he fucked up?

I mean, I know he has a disease and all that, but damn. Unless there’s some other drug involved, eventually don’t you pass out drunk at some point? Or are these people just chasing the dragon all the time?

I still struggle putting him an the latter category, but I don’t know, I guess.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:02 pm

He's saying he went to work very early in the morning, got fired, and was back to the house by 7 am.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Huh. I took it like Mookie thaat he had a bender (passed out somewhere maybe) and told his wife about it right when he got home.

Maybe the video of him was him passed out drunk at the AAC or Stars office

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 pm

No, Troy has it right. Remember, the "incident" that set this off was supposed to have occured during the previous week.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 pm

So then his bender lasted several days.
~ Swinton

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 pm

It was while the team was on the road from the timeline that was reconstructed.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon May 25, 2020 2:57 pm