10/26 vs. Pittsburgh

BigAl

Re: 10/26 vs. Pittsburgh

Postby BigAl » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Attempting to play for a 0-0 tie may seem like a poor choice. But, in Monty’s defense, it was the best strategy given the team’s talent level.
Could of.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:55 pm

One_Timer wrote:It’s getting ugly. Gaglardi needs to do something.

This is why I kind of wish they wouldn't win any games at all for a while. If they continue to play somewhere around 500, the organization may delude itself into thinking things will turn around.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Troy McClure wrote: They’re also boring to watch.

The lower bowl looked (watching on my phone so might not be true) half full during the third before the Pens scored. Normally games against the Pens do well. It could be casual fans don't want to come.out and watch boring 2-1 hockey with shots from the point being the best scoring chances.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:59 pm

I mean, what does Nill do? He's the one who went out and picked up washed out possession black holes. There's nothing in the farm to really replace D corps injuries, we're too top heavy (AGAIN) to really fill out the middle and depth positions, and take more slightly overpaid middle six forwards or bottom 4 Dmen on.

What do you do, make a quality for quantity trade and hope that you get a couple nice building blocks? Good luck, your four pieces are locked up with NMCs. Do you trade the guys who can still skate and shoot and give a *f-bomb* because they want an NHL career? I really wouldn't.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:06 pm

Troy McClure wrote:The Stars now look rattled. The second goal broke them. Now back to the turnovers and panic misplaced passes we saw during the losing streak.

The hallmark of a mentally fragile team.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 pm

There’s not much you can do player wise, being so close to the cap. You can change leadership and hope it works.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 pm

FrozenFailure wrote:I mean, what does Nill do? He's the one who went out and picked up washed out possession black holes. There's nothing in the farm to really replace D corps injuries, we're too top heavy (AGAIN) to really fill out the middle and depth positions, and take more slightly overpaid middle six forwards or bottom 4 Dmen on.

What do you do, make a quality for quantity trade and hope that you get a couple nice building blocks? Good luck, your four pieces are locked up with NMCs. Do you trade the guys who can still skate and shoot and give a *f-bomb* because they want an NHL career? I really wouldn't.

It isn't what Nill does.

It's what Gaglardi does to Nill.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:13 pm

FrozenFailure wrote:I mean, what does Nill do? He's the one who went out and picked up washed out possession black holes. There's nothing in the farm to really replace D corps injuries, we're too top heavy (AGAIN) to really fill out the middle and depth positions, and take more slightly overpaid middle six forwards or bottom 4 Dmen on.

I don’t have any good ideas.

I mean, I guess I’d try another coach just for the sake of hoping a different approach could get more out of these guys, but if another coach gets the same results... It’s depressing to think about given the contract situations. We’re talking about being like the Kings where you are so loaded down with *poo poo* contracts that you’re stuck having to be terrible for several seasons while waiting for guys to retire or go as free agents. The shame is the Stars would have nothing to show for it unlike the Kings.

But if Gaglardi asks Nill the same questions and also gets the “I don’t know” answers, then why is Nill still employed?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:It isn't what Nill does.

It's what Gaglardi does to Nill.

I'd be very torn if I'm Gaglardi honestly. Summer hype has kept attendance?? up. I mean, does he care about the on ice results if people are coming to watch his high flying sham of a team? Are jerseys being bought because there's a couple pretty guys and flashy new blood injections?

I don't think hockey fans matter that much to Gaglardi. Does he think Nill & The Horseshit Messenger have done a poor job of running the business? I don't think so.

I'd think Nill forces a trade first.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Reporter: how’s Essa Lindell’s Face?

Monty: you know Bubba Gump from, that’s what he looks like, he’s got a big swollen lip, and he might be cooking some shrimp for a while.

Damn.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I don’t have any good ideas.

I mean, I guess I’d try another coach just for the sake of hoping a different approach could get more out of these guys, but if another coach gets the same results... It’s depressing to think about given the contract situations. We’re talking about being like the Kings where you are so loaded down with *poo poo* contracts that you’re stuck having to be terrible for several seasons while waiting for guys to retire or go as free agents. The shame is the Stars would have nothing to show for it unlike the Kings.

But if Gaglardi asks Nill the same questions and also gets the “I don’t know” answers, then why is Nill still employed?

Nill can't get another coach, from what scuttlebutt is. If Monty goes, then Nill goes. I really don't know if the coaching is the problem. It's not like the guys, other than Bowness, have a lack of championship caliber coaching experience. USHL, NCAA, AHL, they've all won something in their careers and haven't been trash otherwise.

He, like many GMs, have painted themselves into a corner while waiting for an NHL Draft Win handout. Probably even trying to curry favor from the NHL by taking in broken veterans and keeping on basically charity cases. I mean, he's probably fuming he didn't get the perfect Toby Petersen replacement in Kaako.

Honestly, him handing out contracts to Benn and Seguin for winning nothing and doing nothing but selling jerseys and looking pretty is the biggest failure of his tenure.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:35 pm

I don’t think it’s all coaching. Not at all. Look at the PP. The PP is absolute dog *poo poo*. The big names aren’t even really generating chances on the PP. That has nothing to do with Monty’s system. The PP is all on the players.

But I’m fine making a coaching change because there’s nothing gained from keeping the status quo going.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Seems like this was a good night to watch Star Wars with Connor for the first time as opposed to hockey.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Nill is the first one who should go. He's been here the longest.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Nill is the first one who should go. He's been here the longest.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:51 am

If you decide to make a change, would a qualified candidate for GM even take this job? People like immediate results and our wagon is hitched to Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Pavelski, Lindell, Klingberg, and Bishop until 2022. That's half your cap, and then you have Benn for another three years after that and Seguin for another four. Bishop is great now but the clock is ticking. Other than Lindell, what team would take any of those pieces off your hands without making you take something even worse in return? You're hamstrung with this core.

I vividly remember a quote from Nill when he was hired (and he was the hottest GM candidate around at the time), that the thing that wooed him to Dallas over other teams was that we weren't hamstrung by any bad contracts (because we were bankrupt), so he was working with a completely clean slate. That won't be the case if we decide to make a regime change now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:14 am

Yeah, someone would take it. Every GM gets five years, and I bet being GM adds a zero to an assistant GM’s salary. Even if you flame out and go back to an assistant role, you got a nice little nest egg.

You may not lure the best candidate, but I’d really like to be able to hear some of the interviews where candidates lay out what they see as the problems and how they’d address them.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 am

Someone would take it because there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. It would probably have to be someone new to GM’ing, though, and then it’s a gamble. Do you get Paul Fenton or Steve Yzerman?
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:21 pm

slaps wrote:Someone would take it because there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. It would probably have to be someone new to GM’ing, though, and then it’s a gamble. Do you get Paul Fenton or Steve Yzerman?

Yzerman is the Red Wings GM.
Hextall is the best option out there currently.
Assistant GMs like Tom Fitzgerald are highly thought of.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Jason wrote:
slaps wrote:Someone would take it because there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. It would probably have to be someone new to GM’ing, though, and then it’s a gamble. Do you get Paul Fenton or Steve Yzerman?

Yzerman is the Red Wings GM.
Hextall is the best option out there currently.
Assistant GMs like Tom Fitzgerald are highly thought of.

I think he meant would the new GM be similar to Fenton or Yzerman.

Leonardo da Vinci

Math

Postby Math » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:53 am

Troy McClure wrote:I don’t think it’s all coaching. Not at all. Look at the PP. The PP is absolute dog *poo poo*. The big names aren’t even really generating chances on the PP. That has nothing to do with Monty’s system. The PP is all on the players.

But I’m fine making a coaching change because there’s nothing gained from keeping the status quo going.

This.

The coach is responsible to put the right players on the PP and to define a strategy to enter the zone (dumping, carrying the puck, stand on the blue line and let the puck to the center to gain speed, etc.). From that point, it's up to the players. Up to them to create separation, to go in the slot and get some punches, to make the right decisions and to be in constant movement. The PP in only a matter of anticipation, quickness of execution and precision. For that, you need to have guys in full confidence, which is not really the case right now, to say the least.

Back in the days I used to interview coaches of our team in our team in Switzerland (the one who beat the Flyers in preseason). The first one, former D-man of the Habs John Van Boxmeer (mentioned in Shapiro's book) was a defensive-minded coach. At a moment, our PP sucked and I asked him how did he train the PP. He basically made 20 mn-sessions in two ways: 5 vs. 2 and 3 vs. 0. Never a true 5 vs. 4 or 5 vs 3. Quite weird, but he told this was all about tempo and those format helped the guys with these aspects.

The secone one, Terry Yake (400 NHL games, 50 pts with the Ducks in their first season, which wasn't that bad) was a real funny guy -- twin brother of Steve in Sex In The City -- directed in all out attack-open bar-free for all strategy (or no-strategy). He never trained the PP with the players. Never. He used to let all on them, and at that time the PP was not bad at all.

Those situations really make you scratch your head endlessly. You can have the same exact PP formation with the same personnel, one season sucking at a bare 5%, another season topping almost 30%.

About the game, focusing only to the game I actually found that it was not that bad. They generated some offense (thanks #34) were well organized defensively, however with a lot of rubbish in the passes and transition game. Then came the usual collapse in the last period and Bishop's error and it was over. There's a serious mental issue there, especially with Radulov, Seguin, Pavelski, Benn, well the supposed leaders. I can't believe that they suddenly don't know how to skate, shoot, pass anymore. They're not 79 yet. But yes, right now the Stars need wins, no matter what and screw the fancy game.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:48 am

The passes have been absolutely *poo poo* for ~years~ though. Either excessively telegraphed, too far, too hard, etc. The transition game has been ass too, mainly because of the passing. And we praise Miro the Hero for being our best transition player, but that's because he can still skate and handle the puck.

I always wonder what getting rid of guaranteed contracts would do to the NHL. It might fix some of this mental asshattery that goes on on some teams. It's really odd. Guess Nill's going to have to feed one to the sharks (Ottawa) to get some points across.