2019 NHL Off-Season thread

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16913
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby ToddM » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Yeah, and that doesn't even count all the goals he scored in the shootout. Jussi was the real deal.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Math wrote:Modano had 75 pts in his rookie season back in the North Stars days, but the fans gave up on the whole team.

The highest number of points by a rookie in Stars history and drafted by the team so far: Jussi Jokinen with 55 pts.


That's crazy. Jussi never looked that great to me.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:09 pm

ToddM wrote:Yeah, and that doesn't even count all the goals he scored in the shootout. Jussi was the real deal.


Uh. No. That was James Neal. Duh.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33649
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby slaps » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:14 pm

The Stars would be quite a bit better over the last few seasons if they still had Neal.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

User avatar
Math
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby Math » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Even Iginla had less points than Jokinen in his rookie year.

Speaking about him, I'm still wondering what would have been the Stars destiny if the Iginla-Nieuwendyk trade hasn't been made...

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Math wrote:Even Iginla had less points than Jokinen in his rookie year.

Speaking about him, I'm still wondering what would have been the Stars destiny if the Iginla-Nieuwendyk trade hasn't been made...


They had a chance to trade Todd Harvey for him instead. Worst non-trade in history. lol

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45939
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Math wrote:Even Iginla had less points than Jokinen in his rookie year.

Speaking about him, I'm still wondering what would have been the Stars destiny if the Iginla-Nieuwendyk trade hasn't been made...


0 Stanley Cups, imo.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
Math wrote:Even Iginla had less points than Jokinen in his rookie year.

Speaking about him, I'm still wondering what would have been the Stars destiny if the Iginla-Nieuwendyk trade hasn't been made...


0 Stanley Cups, imo.


If they had traded Harvey, we might have won multiple cups even with Nieuwendyk out in 98.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45939
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:50 am

We wouldn't.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 47676
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:27 am

Then Iginla would have been traded for Keane and Skrudland. Remember, the Stars had very few prospects at that time.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Then Iginla would have been traded for Keane and Skrudland. Remember, the Stars had very few prospects at that time.


Very unlikely. Iginla would have been demonstrating his talent by that time with the Stars.

However, you could also argue that we wouldn't have won ANY cups if we had traded Harvey since we probably wouldn't have gotten Keane at all and he was instrumental in game 7 against Colorado.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 39403
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Or, Hitch would’ve ruined Iginla’s development and he would’ve never panned out here.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:45 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Or, Hitch would’ve ruined Iginla’s development and he would’ve never panned out here.


Also true. I hadn't thought of that.

Jason
Posts: 10950
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby Jason » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 pm


User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45939
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:12 pm

So Ridiculous. There’s no way Edmonton has a black fan.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Wow. That's a hideous jersey.

User avatar
#JTONTFJTGM
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Image

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45939
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:20 pm

I didn’t get it but then I realized I was only looking at the image below.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm

New York Rangers...New York Islanders...it's all the same...

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45939
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:47 pm

So racist

User avatar
Math
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby Math » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:So Ridiculous. There’s no way Edmonton has a black fan.


Besides that, I seriously think that they have done a tremendous job with that design. It is a huge achievement to succeed to make even worse than the oil drop jersey in the late 90's.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33649
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby slaps » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:21 am

This seems like an interesting approach to owning a team:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article233585707.html

“I’m not going to pay what other guys pay GMs, so me having a contract with a GM doesn’t really help me,” Dundon said. “Don in essence has a contract. I already told Don, ‘I’m not going to fire you. If I did, I’d tell you a year in advance.’ My life’s pretty good. I want people to do what’s best for their life. If this is what’s best for Don, the Hurricanes will be fine.”

In any case, the whole debate has a surreal aspect to it, because whether it’s Waddell or someone else, NHL bylaws require the team to have a general manager under contract by the end of the month.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 5003
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby cdanew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 am

Sat next to Donnie Nelson at lunch last year and he told me he doesn't have a contract with the Mavericks. Just a handshake with Cuban

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33649
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby slaps » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm

A look at what it actually means to make $4.75MM in the NHL.

https://theathletic.com/1133282/2019/08/13/breaking-down-an-nhl-salary-the-numbers-arent-as-big-as-you-think/

First thing: roughly $641,000 will be returned to the league via the escrow mechanism in the collective bargaining agreement between the owners and the NHLPA. Hockey players are employees of their respective teams and it’s a union shop; their income taxes are deducted at the source, the same is true for things like escrow.

So $4.75 million is de facto $4.109 million after escrow.

Because Scandella plays in the U.S., he is eligible to contribute to a 401(k) retirement account; the maximum contribution limit for 2019 is $19,000. Thus, the overall number drops to $4.090 million.

The U.S. federal tax rate is 37 percent, so he’ll pay approximately $1.84 million in income tax. Players can expect to pay between zero percent (in Texas, Nevada, Tennessee, Florida and, soon, Washington) and 13.35 percent (California) in state tax. Canadian-born players who play in their home country can expect to be dinged for average combined tax rates that range from 47.2 percent in Alberta to 52.73 in Ontario.

So budget another few hundred thousand for provincial or state taxes, although those calculations can get complicated (you can play around with the math here, if that’s your thing). Depending on where a player plies his trade, he may file up to 18 different tax returns. Also, a player may have options to defer tax depending on where he chooses to retire.


The whole article is fascinating. I'm very interested in the mundane facts, like this bit:

You may have heard hockey is a violent game, so people like Shannon advise their players to take out disability and life insurance.

“Depends on the player and what they want to do, but I typically suggest off-ice coverage throughout the deal and in the last year we switch to 24-hour (the athlete is covered both on and off the ice) to almost protect the future contract,” Shannon said.


That's just an oddly specific thing to have to think about.

Articles like this are why I love The Athletic.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15674
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby wonko80 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Just read that a little bit ago. I nice article with actual details from a player, which is nice to see him being so open about it.

User avatar
Math
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby Math » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Ok, now I definitely think that subscribing to The Athletic is a must.

This reminds me the Radulov signing:

1) He signed a 1yr/$6m deal with Montréal, which was a very good strategy by Bergevin. "We know the guy, as well as his talent and his issues. If it is not working, we just let him go. If he's performing, he will get a major extension that needs to be discussed". He did pretty well, doors all open for a long-term contract.

2) Bergevin turned down Radulov's demands for a new contract. "When you hear what he's asking, you just fall off your chair..." said Bergevin.

3) Nill steps in, willing to give what Radulov is asking. #47 orally pledged to the Stars following that offer.

4) Bergevin panicked and proposed to him the exact same contract. Radulov refused, saying that he already committed to the Stars even if nothing had been signed yet.

5) Radulov finally signed with the Stars as expected.

Was Radulov truthfully loyal? Yes, I do believe he was, but in the other hand he was looking to the option that gave him the most money, like he used to do before. That's where all these tax considerations come into play. By staying in Montréal, Radulov would have been bled like a sacrificed goat by the Québec government, the province has the highest tax rates in all North America. With the same contract value, Radulov ends up with much more money in his pockets in Dallas than if he would have stayed in Montréal. That's not the only reason, but that's one reason why Radulov is a Star right now.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 39403
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 pm

slaps wrote:A look at what it actually means to make $4.75MM in the NHL.

https://theathletic.com/1133282/2019/08/13/breaking-down-an-nhl-salary-the-numbers-arent-as-big-as-you-think/

First thing: roughly $641,000 will be returned to the league via the escrow mechanism in the collective bargaining agreement between the owners and the NHLPA. Hockey players are employees of their respective teams and it’s a union shop; their income taxes are deducted at the source, the same is true for things like escrow.

So $4.75 million is de facto $4.109 million after escrow.

Because Scandella plays in the U.S., he is eligible to contribute to a 401(k) retirement account; the maximum contribution limit for 2019 is $19,000. Thus, the overall number drops to $4.090 million.

The U.S. federal tax rate is 37 percent, so he’ll pay approximately $1.84 million in income tax. Players can expect to pay between zero percent (in Texas, Nevada, Tennessee, Florida and, soon, Washington) and 13.35 percent (California) in state tax. Canadian-born players who play in their home country can expect to be dinged for average combined tax rates that range from 47.2 percent in Alberta to 52.73 in Ontario.

So budget another few hundred thousand for provincial or state taxes, although those calculations can get complicated (you can play around with the math here, if that’s your thing). Depending on where a player plies his trade, he may file up to 18 different tax returns. Also, a player may have options to defer tax depending on where he chooses to retire.


The whole article is fascinating. I'm very interested in the mundane facts, like this bit:

You may have heard hockey is a violent game, so people like Shannon advise their players to take out disability and life insurance.

“Depends on the player and what they want to do, but I typically suggest off-ice coverage throughout the deal and in the last year we switch to 24-hour (the athlete is covered both on and off the ice) to almost protect the future contract,” Shannon said.


That's just an oddly specific thing to have to think about.

Articles like this are why I love The Athletic.


Was any of this not well-known? Or at least easily calculable with Troy’s graphing calculator?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45939
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Ha. That poor bastard.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 47676
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 am

Math wrote:Was Radulov truthfully loyal? Yes, I do believe he was, but in the other hand he was looking to the option that gave him the most money, like he used to do before. That's where all these tax considerations come into play. By staying in Montréal, Radulov would have been bled like a sacrificed goat by the Québec government, the province has the highest tax rates in all North America. With the same contract value, Radulov ends up with much more money in his pockets in Dallas than if he would have stayed in Montréal. That's not the only reason, but that's one reason why Radulov is a Star right now.

I think it was also the timing of things. If Montreal was the first to offer that contract, would Radulov have shopped around or considered the Stars? It seems like Bergevin cost himself any chance of winning a tie by low-balling Radulov thinking no one else would offer him a nice contract.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45939
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am

I’m thinking he probably just realized Texas’s inherent superiority.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests